Monday, July 25, 2011

Snake on the Greenway!

Moses, our 10 year old black lab, and I were on the return trip home on our walk down the greenway this morning, when another walker warned us, "Watch out for the copperhead up ahead! He's on the left side of the trail." Now, for a little background: A few years ago, Moses and I used to run on the greenway, combining exercise with his morning constitutional. Then as age and injuries caught up with both of us, we slowed down to a power walk, covering the greenway at a healthy clip. But the past 6 months, we have slowed to a virtual crawl, with Moses sniffing deeply at every single blessed bush, fallen branch, bridge, and blade of grass. God is clearly teaching me patience and the importance of stopping and smelling the roses (or whatever unmentionables Moses is smelling). We weave back and forth across the path, so that Moses doesn't miss one potential smell target, and as a result, I listen to my ipod and can completely "zone out." We meander along, old Moses and old me, smelling (Moses), listening (me), and greeting the greenway regulars (Moses and me), both canine and human.
This morning, I was listening intently to something from Chuck Swindoll on my ipod, waiting for Moses to smell the 10,000th blade of grass, and paying no attention to anything around me, when I got the warning about the snake. Suddenly, I was on full alert. As we walked home, my eyes scanned back and forth on the path and to the left and the right where Moses tended to sniff. We saw no snake, but I was so struck by the remarkable difference in my attitude. On the trip out, we had been blissfully ignorant of any snakes, but after that warning, on the way back we (well, I) were constantly on the alert and vigilant for any potential dangers. Nothing had changed--the snakes had always been there, lurking in the bushes and deep grasses on the side of the greenway. What had changed was my awareness of their presence.
It reminded me of our trip to Cane River in the mountains last weekend, when we saw black bears on 4 separate occasions. In each of these instances, one of us would be peacefully, contentedly walking along in the woods or in the stream, enjoying the pristine beauty of the unspoiled mountains, when suddenly we spotted a large black bear. My husband saw one so large he said it looked like "Big Foot" as it sauntered across the path in front of him. My sister saw one shoot across the dirt road in front of her. I saw one down the stream, lumbering along the bank. The point: those bears have always been there whether we saw them or not. No telling how many times we have been fishing along unaware that a huge black bear watched us nearby. And I'm sure there's no shortage of snakes and other potentially dangerous creatures all around us out there in the woods, but thankfully, we are happily ignorant of the dangers all around us.
Sometimes it's good to be blissfully ignorant so we aren't consumed by our fears or overwhelmed to the point we are afraid to do anything or go anywhere. But God's Word warns us that "Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." (I Pet. 5:8) We need to be alert, be watchful, be aware that we have an enemy who desires to destroy our witness, steal our joy, and sow seeds of discouragement and defeat and despair in our lives. If we aren't alert to the danger, how can we be aware when those fiery darts of temptation are fired our way? If we don't know the snake is lurking on the path, how can we protect ourselves or our loved ones?
Again, we are not to live in fear. "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Tim. 1:2) And "Greater is He that is in us than he who is in the world." (I John 4:4). But, nonetheless, apart from Christ, we are no match for satan. And we need to be alert and ready for the temptations that are bound to come our way. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to dangers that can take us down--whether temptations of sloth or silver (money) or sex or selfishness.
Here's the good news--Peter encourages us in the very next verse after warning us of that devouring lion, "Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To Him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen." (1 Pet. 5:9-11) He does it all! I just have to stand firm IN HIM and trust that He will strengthen and confirm and restore and establish. The snakes are out there so be alert and stand firm. And watch Him go to work. And to Him be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment