Friday, January 13, 2012

The Day after the Day after the Best Day of my Life

How am I living on the day after the day after the best day of my life? I guess the question really boils down to: how well am I trusting God? If I'm trusting Him then I'll be grateful rather than grumpy. O dear, I just got frustrated with my nonstop ringing phone and a irritable teenager. If I'm trusting, then I'll be contented with whatever God has given me and with whatever He has withheld. That includes a settled contentedness even with a really slow car in front of me or a creaky back or a massive load of laundry or a frustrating schedule or a seeming failure of the world to understand and cater to my every desire.
I just always come back to Phil.4:4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again, I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. the Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Rejoice in the Lord. Don't be anxious about anything. Pray about everything--with thanksgiving. Why can't I remember this?! I don't know about you, but I can do pretty well, and then suddenly the baby gets sick, the car breaks down, the sleep deficit adds up, the to-do list gets too overwhelming and, bam, there goes the attitude of gratitude. Here comes the worry or the frustration. Since I have a crummy memory, maybe I need to shorten it: pray about everything; worry about nothing; rejoice in everything. Pretty simple, huh? And the result will be God's supernatural peace and joy suffusing our hearts and our minds. It's a moment by moment choice. As I talked about on the day after the best day of my life, it's a matter of trusting in my Sovereign God and His perfect ways and work. So it's still true on the day after the day after the best day of my life, right? And honestly, isn't that where we really live: on the day after the day after the day after the day after the best day of our lives? It's life in the trenches and the ordinary grit and grime of the everyday.
Today, tomorrow, tonight, early in the morning, late in the afternoon, choose to pray about everything, worry about nothing, rejoice in everything. Say it out loud with me (because there is such power in the spoken word)--pray about everything, worry about nothing, rejoice in everything. I can't hear you--say it like you mean it! Because God did. Because He loves us beyond all comprehension and because His plans are perfect and will always always always work out for our ultimate good and His greater glory. Somehow. Someway. Someday. Don't ask me how. The good news is, I don't have to know how. I just have to know Who... And His name is Jesus.
So today, pray about everything, worry about nothing, rejoice in everything. And leave all the rest with Him--trust Him, He can handle it. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment