Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Thank You List Today

Just a few things for which I'm thankful today:
Car seat warmers (what a genius invention)
The outline of the bare trees against an early morning or early evening sky
The truth that this is not our home--and if this earth can be so breathtaking, can you imagine what heaven will be like? Wow
Warm days in the middle of January--a reminder that the sun is still there, winter is bracing and beautiful (even if sometimes a bit discouraging), but spring will be here eventually
Smiles... and laughter--what a gift from God!
The comfort and joy of dear friends--may we never take the blessing of friendship for granted!
Date nights--whew, always good to get a break from the grind and the routine, but...
The routine--we forget how good it is to have some predictability in our lives until we experience those inevitable disruptive moments. Suddenly all the little things we took for granted, or perhaps even felt a bit burdensome, become quite precious to us. Maybe we need to be thankful for those seemingly inconsequential routine blessings/burdens now and not when we are deprived of them. (One very small, silly example--remember how thankful you are to be able to do the laundry or drive your child to school after you have just recovered from a virulent stomach bug?!)
My husband's sense of humor (after all, he puts up with me) and wisdom (which I don't always perceive as wisdom but really is)
The dear women in my Bible study and all they have taught me (and that they put up with me, too! A small miracle)
Teachers--God bless 'em!
Chocolate--because absolutely no list would be complete without it! If you don't like chocolate, my sympathies, and, frankly, I'm mystified.
The wisdom and supernatural power of God's Word and the way the Bible is endlessly applicable, encouraging, convicting.
My children--simply grace upon grace. As a mom, I am utterly inadequate, undeserving, and grateful beyond all reason.
Slipping into a steaming hot bath late at night when you are really tired. Bliss
The Pioneer Woman's blog--what can I say, she is just so real and funny, and hope springs eternal that I will one day become a great cook (HA!)
The sound of my children's voices on the phone--especially when they call me just to talk or for advice and not just because I called them (it does happen every century or so)
The sound of my children's voices on the phone even if it is just because I called them
The gift of my brothers and sisters and all our shared memories and the fun we all have when we are together (which is not nearly often enough)
Writing and reading--and having a moderately decent set of eyes and a slightly decent (even if below average) brain with which to see and think
Grace
Grace
Amazing grace that saved a wretch like me. O Lord, help me never ever to get over the wonder of Your salvation to such a one as me. To paraphrase Tim Keller, I am far far worse than I could ever imagine but I am far far more loved and cherished by my Savior than I could ever dare hope or dream. We all are. Don't take it for granted. We are all the thieves hanging on either side of the Lord Jesus on the cross. The only question is, which thief are you? Are you the thief who died in his pride and sin or are you the thief who asked Jesus to remember him when He came into His kingdom? We are all thieves--but I am a thief redeemed by the blood of Christ
and saved by His grace. There are only two choices: which one are you?
To the Savior and the Redeemer, the Giver of all good gifts, be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment