Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lesson from our Dog--Part III

As I write this, sweet old Moses sits at my feet--snoozing contentedly as usual. Yet another lesson from my old lab: he just wants to be sitting as near to us as possible whenever possible. He's content as long as someone is home, and he can rest at that person's side. I have often asked myself the question, does that reflect my attitude towards God? Am I determined to rest at His feet? How important is it to me just to be and go wherever He is or is going? Or do I tend to want to pursue my own agenda and get busy with my own plans and ways?
Who cannot be challenged by the example of Mary and Martha? If ever there was a Mary in our household, it is Moses! Jesus comes to their house and Martha welcomes Him. Martha is busy busy busy: cleaning, preparing, serving, making sure everybody has enough food and drink, that the table is just right and the pillows upon which the Master reclines are comfortable. Thank goodness for Mary--otherwise they would have been eating Easy Mac and pushing the dust bunnies and crumbs out of the way in order to find a place to sit! Frankly, I think we are too hard on good old Martha.
Meanwhile, Mary "sat at the Lord's feet and listened to His teaching." (Luke 10:39) "But," quite understandably, if you ask me, "Martha was distracted with much serving," (Lk 10:40) and she goes up and complains to the Lord about her lazy sister. Boy, can't you see her, fussing and fuming and pointing out that one person is doing all the work and the other person is doing squat--so, she essentially orders the Lord, "You need to set her good and straight--and don't mince any words! I need some help here!"
Well, imagine her surprise when Jesus' rebuke is aimed not for her unhelpful, lazy sister but for Martha herself! "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her." (Lk 10:41-42) Don't you kind of want Jesus to first commend Martha and tell her what an outstanding job she is doing, and then maybe encourage her to spend time at His feet? Or maybe He could at least acknowledge all her hard work and her considerable skills involving home and hearth, and what a blessing this is to others? Or perhaps at least gently nudge Mary and point out what an unselfish servant her sister is?
Nope. None of that. Jesus loves Martha too much to allow her to remain locked in her self absorption and pride. He knows that true contentment, true joy, true peace come not from producing the perfect home or being the perfect hostess or completing all the tasks on her to do list. And true joy and peace certainly never ever come from comparing ourselves and our accomplishments to others. Boy, every time we go down that road, it always results either in pride or discouragement. Or as Jesus described Martha, we become "anxious and troubled" in our relentless pursuits--clearly not the path to the abundant life Jesus longs to give us.
No, the Lord Jesus loves us too much to allow us to wallow in such feelings and in such anxiety-producing preoccupations. Rather, we are first and foremost to seek Him. Worship Him. Know and love and listen to Him. So what if the Master eats Easy Mac--I think He wants a devoted heart far more than a distracted "hostess with the mostest." All those "many things" Martha (and we) focus upon may be wonderful and even important, but they are not the "one thing" that is "necessary."
We need to do those things. I do need to cook dinner for my family and run errands and love and encourage my husband and children. I do need to do the work God has called me to do--but if I'm engaged in endless, frenetic striving and not centered on Christ, then it's all for in vain. And if I seek to love and serve others but do it with a half-hidden attitude of resentment or frustration or score-keeping, well, then it's all for nought, and I will find myself burned out and discouraged... not to mention extremely unpleasant for others to be around.
I have shared it a number of times before, but I've always loved the proverb, "Reverence for God adds hours to each day." Put Him to the test! Seek Him like Mary and then trust that He will enable you to accomplish all He has called you to do as well. Have a Mary heart even as you live in a Martha world of things that need to be done--but in His time and in His way and with His heart.
Will we choose to put the Lord first? Choose to sit at His feet and seek His face and His will and His ways? Will we choose to be a bit more like Mary--and Moses--setting aside all else in order to be with and enjoy the One we love, growing in grace and godliness? O Lord, help us to do the "one thing" that is "necessary" and trust You with the rest. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment