Sunday, March 25, 2012

Still Learning Gratitude!

This is just so pitiful to even admit, but even as I was writing yesterday's blog about not grumbling or questioning, I failed the test! Sigh. I was happily typing away, thinking lovely thoughts about how I would unfailingly choose gratitude and trusting over grumbling and questioning... until, heaven help us, an interruption. (Isn't it always life's interruptions that get us?) My husband told me it was time to get ready to go somewhere, and I needed to get off the computer pronto. And so, of course, I joyfully complied and thanked God for the gift of interruptions which are actually His divine appointments.
Uh, no, that would not be how I responded. Just ask my husband. Actually, don't ask him.
Instead, I immediately GRUMBLED! Okay, maybe I muttered semi-quietly but with great irritation under my breath. But let's face it: selfish, want-my-own-way-little-old-me grumbled about being interrupted right in the middle of my happy, happy thoughts about doing ALL things without grumbling or questioning. And even if nobody else in the house knew it... I knew it and so did my Lord. (Well, and probably so did my husband unless he was blind and stone deaf. Fortunately, none of my children were home or they probably would've known it as well--great parenting, huh. But I really really think our dog, Moses, did not know it, since he loves me and thinks I'm the best no matter what--so I'm feeling vindicated. Gee whiz.)
I share this to point out how naturally and quickly we default to the grumbling mode... or at least, I do. We have to constantly guard against this sinful bent, and the best way to fight grumbling is with gratitude. Nature abhors a vacuum, so it's just not enough for me to say to myself over and over and over again--don't grumble. Don't complain. Don't gripe. Nope, I need to instead train myself to choose gratitude in any and every situation. Look for the reasons to give thanks, rather than focus like a laser on the few grounds for grumbling.
We have to be students of contentment. Paul writes that he had "learned in whatever situation I am to be content." (Phil. 4:11) We can learn to be content in all circumstances--or another way of putting that would be learn to rejoice and be grateful rather than grumble and question--but learning requires time and effort. To be a student requires intentional and tireless effort, but we can do it. If Paul could learn contentment, if Paul could choose gratitude rather than grumbling, then so can we! After all, we have the same Savior and the same Holy Spirit.
It starts with choosing to be intentional and recognizing when we are indulging in self-pity and grumbling. And then we must go to our Savior, seeking forgiveness, and asking Him to enable us to choose gratitude, choose trust. Ask Him, by the power that raised Christ from the dead, to enable us to be contented, joyful, grateful students of His grace and goodness and glory.
After messing up, we need to remember to watch our thoughts... cause, seriously, we all know it begins in our minds. In what kind of thoughts are we indulging? Critical thoughts? Irritated thoughts? Thoughts about how unfair or unenjoyable our situation is? Thoughts of envy or prideful comparison? Thoughts of what we have that we don't want or want that we don't have?
We can choose our thoughts! Again, good old Paul, in that gold mine of the book of Philippians urges us: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things and the God of peace will be with you." (Phil. 4:8-9)
So, the more we think about that which is good and true and honorable and the more we practice thinking right thoughts and choosing gratitude rather than grumbling, then the more we will consistently live out what we believe and profess and desire to be true in our lives. And guess what--the more contented and joyful and peaceful we will be and the more we will glorify Him. Pretty much a win-win, if you ask me.
Maybe nobody needed to be reminded of this, but me. So, sorry, if you wasted your time reading this! I, however, am one slow learner and needed the reminder. But I have a mighty patient, loving, gracious Teacher who never gives up and never quits. Never--not even on His slowest, most intransigent students! So thank You Lord for teaching us contentment and encouraging us to choose gratitude with our thoughts and our words and our actions. Help us to "practice these things!" To our gracious, all-wise and all-loving Redeemer and Savior, be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment