Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Shower and God's gifts

      There is just nothing like the body of Christ!  What a gift to have brothers and sisters--both familial and spiritual--to strengthen, convict, and encourage us along the way.  How much love and grace and joy and wisdom and wonder do our families (of both types) give each of us!  Thank You Lord for such treasures.  
     Several dear friends and I helped give a bridal shower today for another dear friend.  And honestly, I added not one iota of ability or giftedness to the endeavor!  Several of these friends are excellent cooks--I think they could make cardboard taste delectable.  Several possess remarkable organizational skills and somehow seem to remember even the tiniest details.  Several just seem to know how to set things up perfectly--from flowers to silverware--to make everything look beautiful and run smoothly.  One brave soul provided her truly lovely, warm, wonderful, clean and uncluttered (only in my wildest dreams) home that was just perfect for the party.  
     And then there was me.  Let's see, the gifts and skills I provided.... uh... well, I did buy the petit-fours from Harris Teeter.  Does that count?  I must say, they were the dinkiest little delicacies I've ever seen--and not a hint of chocolate anywhere on them.  Seriously, no chocolate and awfully small: what could possibly be the point of any dessert like that?  By the time you popped one in your mouth, you would have already swallowed the minuscule morsel without even tasting anything.  And did I mention, no chocolate?  Gee whiz, what a tragic waste.
     I digress.  Contemplating chocolate does that to me.  My point is that I have no gifts or talents in this area.  I'm a mediocre cook (though hope springs eternal).   I have the organizational skills of a sheep (which I understand is a mighty dumb creature and will simply follow the sheep right in front it right off a cliff).  I'm sadly inept at cleaning and decluttering--the bane of my existence. Details, well, not exactly my strong suit.  But I do love to talk and visit--does that count?  I helped talk while the other girls seemed to do all the work... but I sure did have a fine time!   
     My point: God made us different and unique each for His purposes.  How often have I thought, "O, why can't I be organized like so and so and plan all my meals out for the week and still have time to make homemade Christmas presents?"  or "Why can't I be a better mom like so and so and take my children to the museum every week and teach them to read when they are 2 and happily potty trained when they are 1?" or  "Why can't I have it more together like so and so who works full time, is President of the PTA, and has brilliant children with impeccable manners and bows in their hair?"  
     But with age comes wisdom... and gratitude for the boundless grace of God.  He didn't make me so and so.  He didn't make you so and so.  He made us each unique.  He gave us unique families, unique gifts, unique personalities, unique likes and dislikes.  And He can and will use each of those infinite variations when we entrust ourselves wholly to our Creator and Redeemer and surrender to Him to be used by Him and for Him all for His glory, all by His grace.  He didn't make impetuous, big hearted, enthusiastic Peter to be the quieter, more cerebral, beloved John.  He didn't create the ever generous and encouraging Barnabas to be the strong, brilliant, insightful Paul. Some of His chosen ones were poor, uneducated fishermen.  Some were the intellectual elite.  Some were "Sons of Thunder," some gentle and kind.  Some were hated tax collectors, some were respected Pharisees.  And some were desperate, lonely women whom the world of that day despised--from the possessed to the unfaithful adulterer. 
      And Jesus loved them all, changed them dramatically, and used them mightily.  Think of the impact across the centuries of all these utterly different men and women!  How I have been encouraged by Peter's failures and then his faithfulness to the death.  Or how about Mary: weeping at the tomb of her beloved Savior and then hearing His living lips whisper her name and everything changing forever.  Or the example of Andrew constantly bringing people to Jesus--never seeking the spotlight, but constantly, faithfully bringing others to His Lord.  Or don't forget good old Thomas and his doubts--and reminding us that Jesus can handle all our doubts and questions so take them to Him. Come and see and know the risen Savior.  
     So thank You Lord for making us all so unique--each of us pale reflections of You.  Might we be quick to extend Your love and grace to one another.  For we are all so much worse than we could ever imagine... but so much more loved than we could ever dream.  We are all lost, hopeless sinners... saved by a glorious, perfect Redeemer.  The ground truly is level at the foot of the cross. Might we seek to see You and Your glory and Your grace in all our brothers and sisters in Christ.  Might we be grateful for the ways You have gifted each of us and trust that Your plans and ways and purposes are right and good and glorious.  I may never be a gourmet cook or a organizational wizard... but I am Yours, Lord, and ready to use my meager words to encourage and strengthen and love all those You have so graciously placed in my life.  To God, the Giver of all good gifts, be all the glory.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment