Saturday, April 21, 2012

Time... and Mint


     This might qualify as the 8th wonder of the world--I was able to download my 2nd picture onto this blog! (Okay,  confession time--my oldest daughter is here and helped me.  I never would have figured it out or remembered it from the first time.  Of course, I still can't figure out how to properly indent for a new paragraph on this thing. Sigh)
     I read something yesterday that really resonated with me--or, I should say, convicted me.  Like so many of us, I am always in a hurry.  So much to do, never enough time.  I constantly feel under-the-gun and frustrated that at the end of each day, I have failed once again to get everything accomplished I really needed or wanted to do. Thus, once again today I mark through my lengthy to do list and move all the items to the next day.  For surely, I must subconsciously reason, tomorrow will be a far longer day comprised of more hours, less distractions, more efficiency, and nearly infinite achievements.  The clutter (in the entire house, mind you) will all be cleaned and removed, the laundry will all be folded and put away, the Bible study will be profoundly experienced and put into practice, the gourmet meals will be cooked (Ha!),  the books will be read, highlighted and remembered (double Ha!), the meaningful family activities will be enjoyed by everyone, the errands will all be run (with joy), the copious amounts of detritus will all be swept or vacuumed away, the phone calls and emails will all be returned (including all the ones I saved two weeks ago and then forgot about), the homework will all be finished and learned with excellence (might need a triple Ha here!), all the people in our family will feel loved and affirmed by their mama... and on and on and on.  Surely I could get all that done in 24 hours, right?
     If only I could be a little more efficient, I think.  If only I could eliminate all those copious time wasters in my life, I bet somehow, someway I could get it all done.  If only everyone would leave me alone for... um, about 2 years, I bet I could finish it all.  Isn't it funny how selfish we can become when we want to get things done?
     Why on earth does the Lord put up with me--all my rushing and drivenness and frenetic hurrying... and somehow missing His glory and grace and goodness in my relentless quest to get it all done?
     And so yesterday I read these words by Ann Voskamp:
          "A well known pastor, he was once asked what was his most profound regret in life?  'Being in a hurry.'  That is what he said.  'Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me.  I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry.  But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing... Through all that haste I thought I was making up time.  It turns out I was throwing it away.'"  Voskamp goes on to write "In our rushing, bulls in china shops, we break our own lives.  Haste makes waste.  The hurry makes us hurt.... I think often of another woman seeking: 'On every level of life, from housework to heights of prayer, in all judgment and efforts to get things done, hurry and impatience are sure marks of the amateur.'  [Ouch--I am an amateur, Lord] Is this the secret that all the life experts know?  That in Christ, urgent means slow.  That in Christ, the most urgent necessitates a slow and steady reverence.  That in Christ, time is not running out.  This day is not a sieve, losing time.  In Christ, we fill--gaining time.  We stand on the brink of eternity.  So there is enough time.  Time to breathe deep and time to see real.  Time to laugh long, time to give God glory and rest deep and sing joy.  And just enough time in a day not to feel hounded, pressed, driven, or wild to get it all done.  There is time to grab the jacket off the hook and time to go out to all air and sky and green.  And time to read and wonder and laugh with all them in this light.  All this time refracting in prism.  All this time that could refract in praise."
     After I read her words, I whispered: forgive me Father.  You are the Author of time.  You are the Sustainer of all our days and minutes and seconds, and You have given us enough time every single day to do all You have ordained, all that is needful and necessary and nourishing.  Forgive my haste.  Forgive my hurry.  Forgive my hustling that results in deeds done but souls suffering.  I want to love You and love people first and foremost.  That is why You placed me on this spinning planet.  And there is always enough time for those joyful priorities.   And all the other stuff?  Well, I'm trusting the Creator of time and space that You will accomplish Your purposes and enable me to do what You've called me to without grumpy frenzy and worried rushing.
     This picture I downloaded?   A little glimpse of the voluminous mint in our garden.  One tiny little mint plant from my wonderful Aunt Janie's garden transplanted over 12 years ago has yielded an abundant--even overflowing--harvest of mint every year.  We do nothing to encourage this hardy little herb.  And every winter the mint always looks like it's finished for good.  Yet, come spring, here it bursts forth again--verdant, lush, sweet smelling.  And every time, I remember sweet Janie and thank the Lord for the gift of her life and her love of God's garden.
     So yesterday, after reading Ann Voskamp's words, I slowed to truly see and appreciate and photograph our mint--the gift that keeps on giving and keeps reminding me of past blessings.  And then I put aside my to do list and went to walk along with my son and husband and watch them play golf on a beautiful spring day.  Because I will not always have an 11 year old.  And I may not always have the strength to walk or the eyes to see or the mind to remember and appreciate.  But I do today, and so I slow and savor.
     And that to do list?  Well, it still sits on kitchen counter, and I've noticed the world didn't stop spinning when I ceased rushing about to accomplish everything.  But my son smiled and chatted, and my husband and I enjoyed being together, walking and talking and seeing the beauty of God's stunning creation.
     Yes, I think there is "time to breathe deep and time to see real."  And there is time to love, and time to remember with gratitude, and time to praise.  To our great and good and generous and grace-overflowing God, be all the glory forever and ever and ever... and out into all of timeless infinity.

   



   
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment