Monday, April 16, 2012

Thankful in the simple

Whew. Another "long" monday--only today, it really felt long and laborious! I really feel like complaining, and I'm quite sure I could come up with a decent list of petty gripes... especially in light of being a bit tired and overwhelmed with the unrelenting daily stuff that somehow needs to get done. Life is just plain busy, isn't it?
But the Lord keeps bringing me back to Philippians 2:14 "Do all things without grumbling or questioning," Phil. 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again, I will say, Rejoice," and Phil.4:6 "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God."
So, I'm gonna forego the complaining words--and attitude and thoughts. We can't just refuse to speak those complaints; we've got to dismiss them from our thoughts as well, since whatever is in our thoughts will eventually work it's way out into our attitudes and actions. Instead, therefore, here are some causes for gratitude to the Lord:

(It is now a couple hours later, early evening, and the night is closing in. I'm sitting outside watching our youngest child shoot baskets... and life is good, awfully good! Isn't it always the simple gifts of life that bring us the most joy? How I love the early morning and the early evening--grateful!)
I'm thankful for the warm, sweetly scented spring air. What a day and a week of unrelenting beauty it has been--thank You Lord for the gift of spring again! I'm aghast at how quickly I take God's creative goodness and generosity for granted. We should be rejoicing--"Spring! Again! Can you believe it?!" we should be exclaiming! "He's given us the flowers and the warmth and the sweet smells and the singing birds and verdant foliage again, yet again!!"
Thankful for the banks of azaleas I pass several times a day--a wall of brilliant pink flowers!
Thankful to be sitting outside in the cool of the evening on an old wooden bench... the same bench that sat for years and years outside my dear Aunt Janie's backdoor and overlooking a battered basketball net. Such memories of love and fun and wisdom and family and blessing upon blessing. And here I sit on the same weathered, ancient bench watching my son shoot basket after basket. Thankful.
Thankful for Moses, sitting peacefully, faithfully at my feet. He's just happy to be here with us... wherever we are, whatever we're doing (as long as it doesn't involve much physical exertion!). Help me to sit at Your feet, Lord--peaceful and contented.
Thankful for the sounds of spring--symphonies of birds, barking dogs, crickets--what a glorious childhood-evoking sound!--a far off train whistle, far off murmurs of folks walking down on the greenway or sidewalk.
Thankful for all the candy apple-colored cardinals that have flitted across my path today. Each a whispered reminder from our Father of "I love you." I always whisper in return, "I love You, too, Lord!"
Thankful for wonderful books and for cherished moments of reading and connecting with a wider world and with great men and women of the past who inspire us, convict us, encourage us.
Thankful for family--for husband and children and siblings and in-laws and cousins and all those parents and grandparents and ancestors who have gone on before us. For the gift of being a small part of something far bigger and greater and more lasting than just little old selfish me.
For phones--sometimes the bane of our existence, but still... really a gift to be able to hear the voices of those we love even when they are far from home.
I'm just taking it on faith--thankful for computers! Somehow, someway, they must be worth celebrating, even if I can't do much of anything on them and my ignorance seems boundless according to my children. But... I am writing on one right now, so that is cause for gratitude.
Thankful for a body that can move and see and hear and taste and touch and smell.
And now, thankful to go and read with our youngest child. And to all, a good night! To the God of all graces, big and small, be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment