Saturday, November 3, 2012

Choosing laughter

     Our 11 year old went upstairs late thursday afternoon to "do his homework."  He remained up there for a long time, and, boy, I was feeling great about all his diligent work.  Lots of studying for that Geography test next week, I'm sure.  Lots of reading.  Lots of math.  What joy to consider how pleasant our evening was going to be, since he was getting all this challenging homework done earlier than usual.
     I probably need to add, homework is waaaaaay down the list of things our youngest child enjoys doing--and that means it's not a barrel of laughs for me either--so this seemed like a gift. And how nice and quiet the house was: just perfect for getting a few items crossed off my to do list while our son completed all his homework.  I could even start working on dinner.  Incredible.  Life was just good all the way around, and I was already contemplating writing about this in our Family Thanksgiving Book.
     But sometimes gifts come wrapped in unexpected packages.
     When our son finally came downstairs, I was positively glowing with pride at how much he had surely accomplished.  And the praise was effusive.
      I should have suspected all was not quite as it had initially appeared by his slightly quiet demeanor. That... and the Reese's Cups smeared on his shirt.  Or the M&M's falling out of his pocket.  Or maybe the Skittles melting in his hand.  hmmm.
     When I walked upstairs that night to read to him, I discovered the evidence of amazing organizational skills I never knew he possessed. I just had to take a picture to preserve the evidence.
     And because it was just so funny.  You either have to laugh or cry.  I choose rejoicing.  So maybe we have a wee bit of trouble with focusing on homework, but we sure do know how to evaluate, separate,  categorize and organize.... candy, that is... and eat.  We've got that one down pat, too.  Especially chocolate.  Blame the mama.
     So today, let's choose thanksgiving in life's little ups and downs.  In any given situation, we really can choose how we respond, can't we?  We can't control the circumstances, but we can choose our response.
     We can choose love rather than irritation.  We can choose hope rather than discouragement.  We can choose forgiveness rather than resentment.  We can choose looking for the best rather than digging for the dirt.  We can choose trust rather than worry.  And we can choose thanking rather than complaining.
      And we can always choose to remember that life is a gift... and it truly is filled with so many funny moments, so don't forget to laugh!  Maybe you don't need reminding, but I do.  Sometimes I need to preach myself a little sermon to remind myself of the priceless gift of choosing my attitude and perspective.
     So thank You Lord for the gifts of laughter and children and candy... and of Your Holy Spirit that provides us all that we need to respond to any circumstance with a Christ-like attitude of joy and peace.    
    Maybe it's time to eat a Reese's Cup and celebrate.
     To God--the source and sustainer of true joy--be all the glory.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment