Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thankful... a new boot

     Well, we have a new boot in the family.
      In a smaller, more compact size.  Just right for, say, an 11 year old.
      Yes, our son broke a bone in his foot yesterday afternoon at school, and his city league basketball team plays their first game this week.  He's pretty disappointed but has been a good sport about it all.
      This means we have been without a boot in our house for exactly 6 days.  But I guess that is cause for rejoicing--that's still 6 six days with no boot.  And we have only one person wearing one boot.  And no casts.  No slings on arms.  No plagues.
      No head injuries.  No ICU's.
      So, actually, I guess we're okay.  We're more than okay... we're thankful.  Thank You Lord for a great doctor, for a great school nurse, for a home where our son can prop his foot up, for his kind friends who helped him, and for an 11 year old son (can't forget that one!).  And thank You, Father, that You are a mighty God who cares even about little boys with fractured bones... but Who still has time and love and grace and power to run and hold together the universe.
     I'm reminded of the great old Presbyterian clergyman from the late 17th century, Matthew Henry.  After being robbed one night, he declared, "I thank Thee first because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, and not I who robbed."
     "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (I Thess.5:16-18)
     Good stuff!  And not many exceptions in there that I can see.  So thank You Lord for this fresh new start this morning: to rejoice always, to pray continually, and to give You thanks in everything.  Because we know You've got it all, and You've got us and those that we love.  And in Your hands we are secure. And thankful.
     To God be the glory.
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment