Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Washing in praise

     COLD SHOWER TODAY!!
     Okay, that's an exaggeration... it was a just barely lukewarm shower.  But, good grief, when you're chilly and jump into the shower expecting clouds of steam and hot water to greet you and warm you up in an instant, well, let's just say it felt ice cold.
     My first thought, I'm embarrassed to say, was of grumpiness and not gratitude. Which child, I was just starting to ponder (with annoyance), was the one who obviously took an exceedingly long shower this morning and used up all the hot water?
     But here's the thing about this purposefully choosing thankfulness everyday: it was only just for a second!  Now that's progress!
     Because only a moment after my initial irritation, the Lord immediately reminded me of what a blessing it is to be able to take a shower.  To have at least sort of, almost, luke-warm water.  To have water. To have soap and shampoo.  To have clean towels.  To have clothes to put on.  To have a home in which to go grab a hot mug of tea.
      I'm sure any of those dear folks without power in NY or NJ would trade places with us in an instant, no matter the temperature of our water.   So shame on me for even thinking of complaining.
    "Thou that hast given so much to me; give me one thing more: a grateful heart."  George Herbert.
    Even as I showered, I couldn't help but think of the words of Charles Spurgeon: "Wash your face every morning in a bath of praise."
    So... Thank You thank You thank You thank You, Lord!  Cold shower or hot, You are worthy of all our worship, and You enable us daily to wash in a bath of Your praise and thanksgiving.
    And thank You that through the Lord Jesus, we are truly cleansed of all our sins and all our shame.  Remind us as we wash today to praise You for outward and inward cleansing.... and for hot water, if we have it.
    To God be the glory.
     p.s. Thank You, Lord, for the gift of our son, Preyer, who turns 16 today!  If he used up all the hot water, that is absolutely fine.  He is so totally worth it.
     p.p.s. Please clear the roads when he gets his license.

No comments:

Post a Comment