Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A new perspective

     Whew.
     That just about sums it up.  Whew.
     For the first time in several days, I'm actually relaxed and sitting quietly with Moses, both of us enjoying a little quiet time with the Lord.  He's a very spiritual dog.  Right now, the rain pours down outside, and Moses happily lolls on his back, all four feet up in the air.  His favorite, most relaxed position.  It's as if he realizes life has suddenly calmed down, the pressure seems to have evaporated, and he can finally exhale along with the rest of us.
     I really love Christmas, and for most of the glorious Advent season, I felt joy and wonder and gratitude.  Even in the midst of much travail and tragedy in the world, God kept reminding me that He is our hope and that such sorrow is why He came.  That darkness is why He sent His indefatigable Light.
     But the last couple of days--that final push to the finish line--I suddenly recognized how far behind I was and life shifted into warp speed.  I'm not a Star Trekkie, but that moment when the Enterprise suddenly zipped into overdrive and zoomed past all the stars, well, that pretty much reflected my final exhausting push in the hours before Christmas.  Doesn't lead to unassailable joy, that's for sure.   Forgive me, Father.
    There's so much build up to Christmas that when the glorious day is finally and suddenly over, you feel somewhat dazed.  Maybe even a bit empty.  Yesterday was so much fun for us--all our extended family together to celebrate.  Lots of eating (praise God), lots of laughing and talking, lots of kazoo playing (a relatively new family tradition that I won't explain right now), and lots of singing accompanied by my amazing niece's violin playing.  Thank You, Lord, for the gift of Christmas spent with those we love.
     But, well, then there's the day after... when all I seem to see is mess and piles and dirty clothes and empty boxes and food and more food.  And obscene amounts of Christmas decorations that all need to be put away.  Mercy, how on earth will we ever get it all done?  Just thinking about this Herculean task makes me want to go take a nap.  Actually, just contemplating it makes me want to cry.  Good grief.
     So, that's why old Moses and I decided it was time to take a break and go talk to the Lord about it.  And as always, He changes everything.
     "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is sitting at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.  For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." (Col.3:1-3)
     Time to stop looking around and start looking up.
     Time to remember it's not about all the stuff but all about the Savior.
     Time to ask God to give me His heavenly perspective rather than my earth-bound view.  For that makes all the difference.  My world may be a chaotic mess... but He is still in complete control, reigning on high, and redeeming and restoring the world and His people.  Where we see problems... He sees potential.  Where we feel weak... then He is strong.  And when we get to the end of ourselves and our strength and our joy... well, then that's when He can really begin to go to work and do the supernatural in our hearts and in our hopes.   I think He just loves to take utter messes and make impossibly beautiful music.
     So, for everyone struggling with a "day after..." mentality, why don't you take a few minutes to allow God to give you an attitude adjustment.  There's nothing like trading in your moribund perspective for His heavenly one.  He's waiting and ready.  To God be the glory.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment