Monday, December 3, 2012

Whose you are

     Well, to quote Dietrich Bonhoeffer, "The ability to forget is an act of grace."
      I don't think he was referring to an abysmal memory or to an aging, confused brain, but you never know, so I'm going with that.   Because I totally love Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  And also because I love to think that God's grace covers even all my myriad mess-ups due to my pathetic memory.  And I know that His grace is made perfect in my weakness (2 Cor.12:9), so in that I rejoice!  Thank You Jesus!
      Yesterday, my daughter, Janie, and I were supposed to go to Christmas party for her singing group, OneVoice.  My assignment was to make the cake--chocolate, of course--and I made a nice, big yummy one.  Janie took a little nap to stave off a potential headache, and we were raring to go.  Right before it was time to leave, I decided to look up directions to the house, and discovered... I had written down the WRONG TIME AND THE PARTY WAS OVER IN A FEW MINUTES!  We had missed the whole thing, despite repeated email reminders and even seeing our sweet host that morning at church.
     I was so frustrated and disgusted with myself.  How on earth could I have made that mistake?  If only I had double-checked the time earlier... that's what organized, together people do (and hence, what I did not do).  I felt awful that we just failed to show up--so rude--and that we missed seeing everyone.  And most of all, I felt horrible that they had NO CHOCOLATE CAKE!
     Seriously, I really did feel terrible and berated myself the rest of the night.  I even woke up this morning still nursing a vague sense of inadequacy and disappointment with myself.  I didn't much feel like opening God's Word, but I ambled over to the sofa and opened it anyway--mainly out of blind obedience rather than love.  Forgive me, Father.
     But you know what?  He takes even our half-hearted, half-baked, halting efforts, and I think He smiles.  And then He gently speaks His love and encouragement and strength through His Word to His needy child... just because He loves us.  And because He sent His Son who knows what it is to be exhausted and discouraged and maybe even disorganized.  And because that's the kind of Lord He is--big enough to carve out the mountains and shape the stars and yet small enough to see, care about and care for, one little, tired, disheveled, disheartened mama in Raleigh, NC.
     And if He sees and cares for me, of course He does for you too!  No matter how insignificant or imperfect or inadequate you might feel.  The Creator of the universe, the Almighty Lord, knows and adores you... you, individually, with all your quirks and weaknesses.
     Here's how I know... because He came.  On that first Christmas, He came as Immanuel, God with us, so that we need never feel alone again.
     Just this morning, when I opened the Word to Mt.1, I read about Joseph learning about Mary's pregnancy.  Can you imagine the tempest in his soul over what to do about his fiancé and her wild story?  What would you think?  Should he just divorce her quietly?  Could this possibly be true?
      Well, here's what happened, "But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, 'Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.  She will bear a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins." (Mt.1:20-21)
      I've already gone on too long, but can I just say one thing?  (If the answer is no, you can quit reading now.)  Notice that the first words from the angel are "Joseph, son of David, do not fear..."  I couldn't help but think about the way the angel addressed him as "son of David."  It was if the angel was gently reminding old Joe, "Joseph, remember who you are!  Remember you are in the direct line of King David!  Remember, the Messiah will come from David's line, from your line... so never forget who you are, Joseph.  Never forget Whose you are."
     I've got to think that was a startling reminder for Joseph, for surely it would never in a million years have crossed his mind that he might be the earthly father of the Messiah.  Nor could he imagine, I'm sure, that sweet, but simple, young Mary could be the Messiah's mother.  Because like all of us, Joseph probably tended to forget who he was and Whose he was.
     And that was all the reminder I needed early this morning.  Sure, I'm disorganized.  Sure, I have the memory of a flea.  Sure, I fail sometimes... well, a lot of times.
     But I am the daughter of the KING!  I am the child of the Almighty, All-powerful, All-sovereign Creator and Sustainer of the heavens and the earth.  And if He is my Father, my Daddy, well, then a few mess-ups will be okay.  Because my Abba has got it all covered.  And His love and His grace more than make up for all my many weaknesses.
     Yours, too.
     So today, might you remember who you are... and Whose you are.  And be thankful.  Cause your Heavenly Daddy has got you covered... by the beautiful blood of the Savior.  And so, like Joseph, do not fear, but remember and rejoice. To God be the glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment