Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Battles

     Whew.  Just whew.
     When I awoke this morning, just felt threadbare--like one of my children's ratty old tee shirts (that for some inexplicable reason, they seem to prefer--at least my daughter.  Go figure.).  It's been a busy few days... well, actually, a busy few months.
     And sometimes you just feel like, well, Lord, I'm just ready to check out for a little while. Life is, by and large, wonderful, but it is always filled with battles. Have you noticed that?  You get through one battle, and low and behold, there's another one poking around the corner saying, "Yeah, you--you ready for me?  You think you can take me?  Let's see what you're really made of,  Mr. Big Stuff."
     Some of those battles are very public--like children in ICU--but some of very private and, frankly, those can be the toughest.  Those battles against discouragement... or fear... or frustration... or just plain exhaustion.  I think it was Winston Churchill who said something to the effect that exhaustion makes cowards of us all.  So true, because when we're tired, it's just so much harder to fight those battles.
     But how I love My Savior, because He never grows weary or downhearted or frightened.  Those loads of laundry and piles of stuff that need to be taken care of at home along with that seemingly endless to do list--nope, doesn't overwhelm Him.  Not a bit.  Dealing with that crummy attitude of your child--or yourself--nothing to the One who scooped out the oceans and formed the far distant galaxies.
     One of my very favorite passages in the Bible is Isaiah 40.  I just have to include part of this beautiful chapter:

To whom then will you compare me,
    that I should be like him? says the Holy One.
 Lift up your eyes on high and see:
    who created these?
He who brings out their host by number,
    calling them all by name,
by the greatness of his might,
    and because he is strong in power
    not one is missing.
 Why do you say, O Jacob,
    and speak, O Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord,
    and my right is disregarded by my God”?
 Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
    his understanding is unsearchable.
 He gives power to the faint,
    and to him who has no might he increases strength.
 Even youths shall faint and be weary,
    and young men shall fall exhausted;
 but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
    they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
    they shall walk and not faint.

   That is the God we serve... and there is none other.  And He is the One who fights our battles for us.  We simply fight alongside Him--but He is the One who strengthens and encourages and renews us in the midst of whatever we are going through. I have seen Him do it over and over and over again in my own life.  I think I'm done, down for the count.  And then suddenly He is the Almighty Calvary, riding in to save the day. Filling up empty places, patching up those threadbare emotions--actually not just patching them, but replacing them with His robes of righteousness and love and strength. 
   And suddenly, I find myself ready to take on that next battle--because as I just read this morning in my Daily Light: [Jehovah Nissi] The Lord-Is-My-Banner. (Ex.17:15)  And, as I just shared with a dear friend who is also fighting a battle (because every single one of us is fighting battles): "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe." Prov.18:10 
   When I run to Him, I am safe... and saved... and strengthened.  And ready to take on the next battle.  For I go under His banner and in His might.  Might you remember this day, whatever kind of battles you are facing, that you are not fighting alone.  Never.  Run to the tower of the Almighty and know that He is fighting with you and for you. And He will never ever fail you.  To God be the glory.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment