Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Finite and the Infinite

     I just have one question: if we could send a man to the moon and have figured out how to put a computer inside a tiny hand-held phone, why on earth does it require TWO remote controls to work the TV in our den?
     Seriously... two controls for one, not-even-that-hot-sho- of-a-TV?  It's not like it's some super high tech TV--we've had it for a couple of years.  It's a regular size.  It's doesn't do anything special like brew coffee or bake chocolate cake, so why would it, as opposed to the other smaller, less demanding TV's in our house, require two remotes?
      And, let's just put it all out here in the open: I cannot for the life of me figure out how to even turn it on.  I know this is pathetic.  If I were you, I'd stop reading right now, since it's clear I'm a person of sub-average intelligence, but it's just so blasted confusing.  You push some button that I can never remember on one remote and another button on the other remote--unless of course, it's a full moon, and then you have to push two buttons on the first remote and, I'm sure, wave it around 7 and a half times over your head before pushing 3 buttons on the other remote.  Geez.  This is frustrating me all over again just thinking about it.  Why?  Why is this?
     And here's the second part of this deep philosophical conundrum: why are ALL my children not only able to turn it on, but all able to actually find the channel needed at the moment.  Carolina basketball game?  No problem: go through the 18 minute process of turning on the TV and then go to Channel 194804937588875018472.  Then they look at me as if to say, "Are you kidding?  You can't figure that out?"
     Every now and then they, or my not-very-long-suffering husband when it comes to this sore subject,  will try to walk me through the long, painful ordeal of how to work this TV, but for the most part, they've simply given me up for hopeless.  They just figure if I really have to watch TV, I'll go to the kitchen and watch the small one... or better yet, go find something productive to do like fold laundry or eat some chocolate.  Actually, a good idea.  The chocolate, that is.
     My point in all this: nothing really.  I just needed to get that off my chest.
     Well, that, and the fact that this is a humiliating reminder that we are finite, limited creatures.  And for some inexplicable reason, we often arrogantly assume we know--or better-- than God.  We surely have a better plan than the Almighty.  We surely know more facts than the omniscient One.  And if we were in control of the spinning planets and sprawling galaxies (so ridiculous, isn't it), we'd surely do things a little differently.
     I've always loved Steve Brown's quote: "If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans."
    How can the limited and small ever begin to comprehend the enormously, infinitely, tremendously Unlimited, Unbounded One?  His thoughts and ways are so far far beyond our thoughts and ways that we simply cannot even begin to wrap our little, limited minds around it. And that gives me such comfort!  If I could fully understand God, how big would He be?  But I can't!  His love is higher than the heavens.  His grace deeper than the oceans.  His power mightier than anything this world can think or imagine.
      And whatever our soul requires, whatever our need this morning, He's got us covered.  We can't exhaust Him or stump Him or frustrate Him.  He'll never run low on the grace to help us, the wisdom to share with us, or the power to transform us.  For how can the finite ever exhaust the infinite?
     Yep, as Charles Spurgeon put it so memorably: "Dost thou need more strength than the omnipotence of the United Trinity? Dost thou want more wisdom than exists in the Father, more love than displays itself in the Son, or more power than is manifest in the influences of the Spirit? Bring hither thine empty pitcher! Surely this well will fill it. Haste, gather up thy wants, and bring them here--thine emptiness, thy woes, thy needs. Behold, this river of God is full for thy supply; what canst thou desire beside? Go forth, my soul, in this thy might. The Eternal God is thine helper!"
     So, forget our incomprehensible TV.  I'll never figure it out--or certainly never remember it even if I did figure it out for one brief shining moment.  But that's okay.  Because my God's got more than enough of everything, everything, everything that we will ever need. 
      The finite will never ever exhaust the infinite.  And as long as He's in control, well, I'm good.  I'm so good.  
     To God be the glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment