Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Looking to the Good Shepherd

     Maybe nobody else needs this good word today, but I know I sure did.  From Daily Light: "When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I." (Ps.61:2)  And "O Lord, I am oppressed; undertake for me!" (Isa.38:14)
     Nothing earth shattering--just a lot going on right now, and sometimes you fall into bed exhausted and wake feeling just as overwhelmed with all you have to do.  And then, of course, the enemy knows just when to attack with something or other to discourage you or your family.
     So here it is: I choose to look to my Good Shepherd.  I choose to follow Him into those green pastures where He makes me lie down and meander alongside those quiet streams of refreshing water where He restores my soul.  I love how Eugene Peterson puts it: "True to Your Word, You let me catch my breath, and send me in the right direction." (Ps.23:3)
     How thankful I am for my Good Shepherd--never hurrying me, just gently but determinedly leading me into paths of peace and blessing.  Again, Peterson's translation: "You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing." (Ps.23:5)
      Isn't that He does when we choose to look to Him?  Revives our drooping head. When we look to our circumstances or ourselves or any lesser thing, well, that head just drops lower and lower and that anxiety just raises higher and higher.  But simply choose to look to Him, and everything changes as we behold His beauty and goodness and grace and love and power.  And recall that He is our Good Shepherd.
     Just a few minutes ago I read in Oswald Chambers: "We will find what we are looking for if we concentrate on Him.  We get distracted from God and irritable with Him while He continues to say to us, 'Look to Me, and be saved...' [Isa.45:22]  Our difficulties, our trials, and our worries about tomorrow vanish when we look to God.  Wake yourself and look to God.  Build your hope on Him.  No matter how many things seem to be pressing in on you, be determined to push them aside and look to Him.  'Look to Me...'  Salvation is yours the moment you look."
     Thank You Good Shepherd and Restorer of our souls.  We are looking and following and trusting in the Rock who is infinitely higher than us.  And who, even now, is leading us into those green pastures of hope and restoration and joy.  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment