Friday, February 8, 2013

Dave and Dave

     Just in case you needed an excuse to smile today:
     This fellow just appeared in our neighbor's yard the other night.  And what can I say?  How on earth can you possibly walk or drive past that everyday without grinning?  I'm not sure if he has a name--but let's just call him Dave. I'll tell you why in a minute.
      Did you notice that Dave is covered from the tip of his horns to the bottom of his hooves with hearts?  Well, Dave is obviously wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day and reminding us all that this life is ALL about love--start to finish--the love of our Savior and the love He calls us to have for one another.
     Gee... and you thought cows were dumb.
     "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35.  Can I just add a totally unrelated editorial comment?  This book of John is just loaded with great stuff like this!)  Old Dave here is making it pretty clear he loves, really loves ... what about us?
     Yesterday, I ran out to Crabtree Mall with a list of errands.  Let me tell you, I was one woman on a mission--get it all done and get out of there and on to the next item on my lengthy to-do list.
     First stop, the tailor's to get several items altered.   No line--praise God!  And the ladies there are always so nice.  I get all my stuff together (okay, I've never ever "gotten all my stuff together" so this is a relative term) and head out to the counter to write down name and phone number, etc.  I just happen to look over at the only other person in the shop who's just come out of the dressing room and realize, O my stars, that's Dave O!
     Maybe you don't know Dave (the non-cow Dave, that is).  If not, trust me, you're missing out on a burst of energetic joy!  Dave is a pastor, and a dear friend and mentor of Webb Simpson (if you don't know who he is, well, then, I just don't know what to tell you. Clearly you need to get out more... or talk to my boys).
     To hear Dave preach or just to talk to him is to love him.  You've never seen so much compressed energy, so much joyful love for the Lord.  Jesus just splashes and spills out of him.
     I love people like that.  Our pastor, Leon Tucker, is the same way.  And so many others--all in different ways, of course, because God made us all so uniquely different.  Some are quieter, more thoughtful.  Some large and loud.  Some just overflowing with gentle love and compassion (fill in my sisters right here!).  Some supernaturally wise.
     And some, like Dave--both Daves--just throwing out flashes of God's joy wherever they are. When Dave saw me, we had a little praise party right there in Lee's Tailors.  Seriously, we talked about all God had done through the girls accident, about his kids, about having a middle schooler (mercy and grace, Lord), and Dave was praising God and smiling and spilling out love and joy all over those bemused, very nice ladies in the shop.
      I sure wish I could've heard what those ladies talked about when we were gone.  But I can tell you one thing--they saw for certain what a Christ-follower should always be: overflowing with love and joy and gratitude.
     Like both the Daves, we can and should be the fragrant, refreshing aroma of Christ in a sometimes smelly world.
     "For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing." (2Cor.2:15)  
     O Lord Jesus, help me to smell like You!   And like Dave.  Both of em.  To God be the glory.

2 comments:

  1. Emily,

    Amen and amen. As the wife of now famous Dave O, I loved and laughed through your post! I can attest to his constancy and frequently refer to him as the "JoyDome". I'll let you in on a little secret...he's no different from the sinner that I am, except that he clings to, savors and hopes in the Gospel all the time. Thanks for brightening this "mother of a middle schoolers" day! Affectionately DaveO's biggest fan, Julie O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O Julie, this just made my day!! Thank you so much! And not only does he have many, many fans... so does his very remarkable and wonderful wife! Hang in there in the trenches of middle school! All for His glory, and, boy, ALL by His grace!!! lots of love, em

      Delete