Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Down on Downton Abbey

     Can I just say that I am in a slightly bad mood?  Actually, I'm really quite upset... and it's all because of my addiction to the TV show on PBS--"Downton Abbey."  I admit it, yes, I'm addicted to a TV show--pathetic--and I probably need to attend some sort of support group to help me get over this.  I'm writing this today (monday) but not posting it until tomorrow just in case some of you who watch it are just not quite up to rehashing the whole sad, sordid tale.  I know I'm not.
     If you have never watched Downton Abbey, do not, I repeat, DO NOT start now.  It will break your heart in a million different ways.  This season has just been the worst in that department--killing people--good people--off right and left. Nope, don't start now... and anyway, the season just ended last night... and the season for this series only seems to last a day and a half.  What's the deal with that?  Maybe they figure we just can't handle the angst any longer.
     Not to mention, the show airs at 9 on Sunday night and is usually over by 10.  This is not optimum as you start your week off feeding your addiction.  But then, what's this?   They trick us the last two weeks and have it run for two hours--so you're just ruined the next day by staying up so late... and crying your eyes out to boot.  And I thought I liked PBS.
     So, just for the record, that new couple that brought in last night from Scotland should make everyone feel better about their marriages and relationships.  Good night.  They made that movie "War of the Roses" look like "Love Story."  And the wife, Susan?  Mercy, the rest of us moms look like Mother Teresa compared to her.  I'm actually starting to feel a little bit better about myself.
     And also, just for the record, why couldn't they kill off that new hussy maid, Edna?  What's the deal with her?  My blood pressure shot up every time she wormed her way into the room... with Branson, of course.  Geez.
     I purposefully stopped watching at 10:30, because I had heard rumors, unconfirmed of course, but still pretty reliable, that things were not going to end well.  And, O brother, they didn't.  I'm not even going there.  Not even going to utter the words, but we all know what happened.  And it was TERRIBLE.  If you don't know, then, trust me, you don't want to know.  Just assume everyone goes happily off into the sunset.
     My oldest daughter, who is also addicted (but who is normally a very stable, well adjusted, wonderful person except for this horrible addiction) had already announced weeks ago that she would never watch the show again after this season, because she sensed what was coming.  Yes, PBS, the TERRIBLE event which shall-not-be-named is costing you viewers next year!  Maybe you better think about that next time before you break our hearts and ruin our week.
      I may just join my daughter and boycott the show next year.  That'll show 'em.  Because we all know addictions are awful things.  And TV is generally a huge waste of time.  And I should be loving my family and getting things done rather than glued to a TV set for two hours.  And weeping over imaginary TV characters is not generally a healthy thing.
     So Downton Abbey--goodbye. I'm done forever watching and weeping. You've seen the last of me.

    Nah.... wonder when the new season starts?
    Lord, thanks for putting up with me and all my foolishness.
    To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment