Thursday, April 11, 2013

Birds... and the Gospel

     Sorry, but one more picture from Curacao.  This bird visited us on our little porch every time we walked outside.  And we're talking--open the door and up he flew.  Our first morning there, I grabbed my Bible and pen and prepared to have a lovely, peaceful time enjoying God's creation on our porch overlooking the ocean.  But no sooner had I sat down than this guy charged up, practically staring me down (and you can't really see it in the picture, but he has huge eyes.  Seriously, it all took me back to that creepy movie about the birds from my childhood.  If you are not old enough to remember that horror film, be thankful!  If you are, well, then, sorry to remind you.)
     I've always loved birds.  What exquisite tiny packages of God's glory!  And Curacao overflowed with gorgeous birds--neon yellow ones, multi-colored ones, tiny graceful ones--but I must say, this little guy bordered on the psychotic. We really couldn't sit on our porch for fear of being pecked and hassled.
     All that being said, this just reminded me of the wonder of God's creation and one of my favorite quotes from Marin Luther: "God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and  clouds and stars."  Amen. Look around you right now and see the glory of God brilliantly displayed.
     Just yesterday, Peter ran in excitedly, shouting, "I just saw the first caterpillar of spring!"  The Gospel in a tiny, furry creature!  God transforms a lowly, crawling creature into a brilliant butterfly--but it must go through "death" in the cocoon.  How often do we miss it in our busyness?
     Or the buds on trees, the flowers beginning to bloom.  New life, rebirth all around us.  Wordless evidence of the Gospel!  And so common, so ordinary, that we (or I) tend to ignore it or pass it by without slowing down to praise the Author and Creator.
     So today, with a blanket of fresh yellow pollen covering our cars and streets and giving the world a slightly dirty haze, rather than complain about allergies, might we be reminded of the Gospel.  Given in blood, written in words... but also displayed in a springtime day.  Help us not to miss it, Lord.  Keep us grateful!  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment