Friday, April 12, 2013

Healthy eyes... happy lives!

     In the category of, "I"m not taking this for granted anymore... or at least today": My EYES!
     Mercy, I somehow managed to get my contact lens stuck way over in the side of my eye.  I tried and tried to get it out, but all to no avail.  And the more I tried to dislodge that pesky lens, the more it hurt and the more uncomfortable I grew.  Good grief--I had just put it in a few minutes earlier, but who knew one tiny, flimsy, nearly invisible lens could so mess up your whole morning?!
      I finally had to call the optician in desperation. How embarrassing.  But praise God, they were able to get it out within seconds.  I could have hugged everyone in the office!  Sweet, blessed relief.
      So thank You Lord for eyes... forgive me for forgetting to be thankful for this old pair of mine that enable me to see this gorgeous planet... and my loved ones... and books... and the Word (and Moses--can't forget him!).  And thank You for glasses and lens that correct our faulty vision so that we can see that which we cannot see!  And, goodness, thank You for eye doctors and opticians!
     This all reminded me of how many verses deal with our eyes.  But just two right here: "The hearing ear and the seeing eye, the Lord has made them both."  (Prov.20:12)  Gifts from His hand--have we thanked Him today?
     And secondly, "The eye is the lamp of the body.  So if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light." (Mt.6:22)  Boy, I needed that reminder, because our perspective is so critical, isn't it?  Whenever I start viewing life through the myopic lens of my own agenda, my own circumstances, and my own selfishness (that's the bottom line--my selfishness), well, then, my eye is no longer healthy.  Our sin and preoccupation with self always thrust us into the darkness where we cannot see clearly and rightly.  And walking in the darkness always leads to fear, failure, fretting, and fault-finding in others.
     But when our eyes see through the lens of God's way and God's Word, everything changes.  O sure, the circumstances may not change.  The problems may not disappear.  But seeing through our Heavenly Father's eyes, we find a renewed and redeemed perspective and peace and power.  And we rediscover joy.
    And the two best ways to do this--gaze at Him in His Word and be grateful to Him for His gifts. Just as simple as that--His prescription for healthy eyes!
     Gazing at Jesus in His Word--you'll find your proper perspective return and your vision clear.
     Gratitude to Him for who He is, what He has done, and what He has given to you.  Salvation. Forgiveness. Redemption. Grace. Peace. Hope. Joy.   But also His common, but miraculous gifts, like eyes... or ears... or chocolate.  And then the gifts of friends and family... O my, I could be here all day!
     So today, let's gaze at Him and be restored.  Let's express our gratitude and be renewed.  Let's walk in His Light... with Him... and find joy.  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment