Monday, September 16, 2013

Gratitude for golf...and other gifts

     For anyone reading this who hates golf, I apologize.  I used to be firmly in your camp, but I have to say I'm converted--thanks to three boys and a husband who love it so.  Now that doesn't mean I play--O nooo,  I watch, walk, and talk.  But those are three of my favorite pastimes anyway (watching, walking, and talking while enjoying God's glorious world, that is), so I'm good.  If we could just figure out some way to eat chocolate cake while doing all that, then golf would be the perfect sport.  I'll work on that.
     So today is simply a thank you note to God...but I hope it might remind you of some things for which to be thankful as well.
     Thank You, Lord, for the gift of watching our son play golf for Davidson College.  This time last year we were still with Janie in the hospital.  But this weekend we had the joy of watching his team play at a tournament at UNC-Chapel Hill.  Our Wildcats didn't play especially great, but they played,  we watched, and we enjoyed every moment of it...okay, well, except when I was feeling sick to my stomach due to gut-twisting anxiety over every shot.  Sigh.  I'm a work in progress.
     This will be one of my favorite memories of the weekend.  The guys had just played all day long on Saturday.  In college tournaments, they typically play 36 holes on one day and 18 holes the next.  Think of it--they walk and carry their own (extremely heavy) bags...for 36 long, stinking holes.  In case you're wondering, that is one heck of a workout.  They began playing at 8:30 in the morning and finished about 6:30 at night--and that's playing straight-through.  No breaks for lunch.  No breaks period.  Of course, they are all young bucks, so I'm not feeling too sorry for them, but still, it's a game that requires large doses of perseverance and mental toughness (more on that another day).
     Anyway, saturday had been a tough day for our beloved Wildcats.  None of them had played well.  Our son, Richard, struggled with his driving all day and after playing for 10 straight hours, he went over to the driving range to try to work on his driving.  His daddy went over and sat down behind him, just enjoying watching and being there with him.
     I ran to get my camera, but by the time I got back, the rest of the team had gone over to join him.  So here they all were, on the range near 7 p.m., working, talking, trying.  No other teams were out there, just our Wildcats, on a warm, lovely fall evening.  And a silent prayer of thanksgiving went up from this mama--thanking Him for the moment and the memory.
     And so thank You, Lord, for the gift of these fine young men that play with Richard.  Such a great group of guys.  (And we adore all their families too!) Here they are just after finishing the tournament--
     Another thank You, Father, that Janie and Peter were with us yesterday!  And of course, our wonderful friend, Ellen Culler, who pretty much ran the whole tournament--and who has been a dear friend of our family's for many, many years.  Thank You Lord for the gift of family and friends (especially old friends!).  Can we ever thank Him enough for the priceless gift and solace of family and friends?
     One more thank You, Lord.  Thank You that I was able to watch our son play without dropping dead of a heart attack on the course.  I have a long way to go as a spectator, but I did manage to watch without too many gasps or groans.  And, every now and then, I actually enjoyed it.  Of course, the rest of the time I thought I might spontaneously explode with anxiety or frustration, but well, I'm still here, so that's something.
      And it was a spectacular weekend--sunny, warm, just a hint of fall in the sweetly-scented air...God's glory in full display for a perfect fall weekend. If this sin-stained earth could be so breathtakingly beautiful, can we even begin to imagine heaven?  Wow, thank You, Father.
   Here's hoping today we will all pause to thank the Giver of all good gifts...the big and the little gifts, the ordinary and the surprising gifts, the eagerly anticipated and the not-so-welcome but still allowed by His sovereign hand gifts. And then go on to praise the Glorious Giver Himself who is infinitely greater than any and all of His gifts.  Might we live in the grace of gratitude this day knowing that our Father who relentlessly gives and blesses will not fail us in the future.
     "Let my mouth be filled with Your praise and with Your glory all the day... I will hope continually, and I will praise You yet more and more. My mouth will tell of Your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge." (Ps.71:8,14-15)   Keep us grateful, Lord. Keep our mouths praising You this day.  To God be the glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment