Thursday, September 19, 2013

On the lookout for cardinals

     God's little love note--a ruby red cardinal feasting at our bird feeder.  I've shared this before, but I have this funny secret understanding with God: whenever I see one of His brilliant crimson cardinals, it's His love note to me saying, "I love you!"  And every single time I see one, I always whisper back, "I love You, too, Lord."  Consequently, I keep our bird feeder constantly filled with the best bird food I can find--and in particular food that appeals to cardinals--because I love being reminded!
     Don't we all need those reminders of God's constant, unconditional, no-matter-what love for us?  Life can be so hard.  Right now I am praying for a number of dear friends who are struggling with such weighty sorrows, losses, and longstanding troubles.  As I prayed early in the morning, I wept with the sadness and perplexity of it all.  But I also released those burdens to our Great Burden-Bearer.
     Frances Ridley Havergal writes "In perplexities--when we cannot tell what to do, when we cannot understand what is going on around us--let us be calmed and steadied and made patient by the thought that what is hidden from us is not hidden from Him."  He sees.  He knows.  He cares.  And He is at work even in those hardest, darkest corners of our lives--especially in those places.
     But in those moments when we are tempted to despair in our circumstances or in the weight of the sorrow and hardship those that we love are bearing, we need, we must, have those "Cardinal Love Note" reminders that our God is there.  That He is faithful. That He is in control.  And that He is always working to bring all things together for our good and His glory. (Rom.8:28).  That's why I love to spot cardinals throughout my day--I need to be constantly reminded of His powerful, relentless influx of His love and Presence in my life.
      Because here's the thing I've learned--the daily grind of life will suck that sense of His love and power and presence right away from us.  Snatch it from us and cause us to doubt, to grow discouraged, to even despair.  Man, I am so quick to measure God by my circumstances rather than measure my circumstances by my Almighty God!
     There is one sure fire antidote for this destructive, hope-stealing dilemma.  We must confront and battle against the lies of our feelings of despair or fear with the eternal, powerful Truth of God's Word.
     Christine Cane put it this way: "When there is a fight between your heart and your head, experience has taught me that the best thing to do is pick up your Bible and remind yourself of what God says..You need to return to the truth of God's Word that will last forever, not meditate on circumstances that will change and fade."
     We have that choice daily.  Listen to the lies of "This is hopeless."  "They'll never change.""This is just how I am and I can't help it." "I will always feel this way."  "This disease will destroy me and my life."  "This relationship is beyond all hope"  On and on go the lies of destruction and despair.
     But the Word says... But the Word says...But the eternal Truth of God's Word says...But the cross reveals... But the resurrection shows...
     Fight defeat and discouragement with the Word.  Remind yourself a thousand times a day--God's Word says He loves me with an everlasting love and underneath are His everlasting arms. (Dt.33:27)  He promises us--"Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isa.41:10) And "'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor My covenant of peace be removed,' says the Lord, who has compassion on you." (Isa.54:10)
     O Father, help us make that choice daily--to choose to listen to Your great, powerful voice of Truth and love rather than stew in the destructive juices of our feelings of discouragement or fear.  Keep reminding us this day of Your love.  Might we meditate on Your love and power rather than our limitations and sorrows. Might we be preoccupied with You rather than our problems.
    This day we will have multiple opportunities to choose which voice we will heed.  Lord, remind us again and again that You are with us, that You love us, and that You are working all things--ALL things--for our greater good and Your greater glory.
     Keep sending those cardinals--and keep us on the lookout for them!  We love You, too, Lord!
     To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment