Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tuesday...praying and waiting

     Tuesday of Holy Week.  Trying to walk with Jesus through this week...but sometimes I get busy, frazzled, preoccupied and momentarily lose sight of Him.  Forgive me, Father.
     So I sit down just for a few minutes to touch base with the Savior.  Tell Him about my day...my dreams...my mistakes...my fears...and my love.  Oh help us to cease striving and working and rushing, Lord Jesus, so we might follow You to green pastures and still waters.  Might we hand You our sins and failures and misses of this day and in exchange breathe in the divine air of Your forgiveness and grace and hope and joy.
     As Jesus drew another step, another day, closer to the cross, He kept teaching and exhorting and loving those He had created and came to save.  That tuesday morning, Jesus and the disciples again return to Jerusalem and pass the same fig tree the Lord has cursed the day before.  Good old Peter excitedly notices it and exclaims "Rabbi look!  The fig tree that You cursed has withered." 
     Jesus responds: "Have faith in God.  Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.  And whenever you stand praying, forgive if you have anything against anyone so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses." (Mk11:20-26)
      I don't even pretend to understand all that the Lord says here. Such a vast and amazing promise! But here's what I do know: Jesus said it.  His Word never fails.  And if He says we can move spiritual mountains by way of believing prayer, well then, I believe it even if I don't fully comprehend it.  So why on earth aren't we praying?
      There was more teaching on this Tuesday...more questioning by the religious leaders desperately trying to trap Jesus; more parables; more discussions with His disciples.  But for now, it's enough to know Jesus resolutely continues heading towards the cross on this tuesday.  And He does it for you.  For me.  For us.
     And so we follow...and pray...and believe...and wait.  The cross is coming.  But so is the resurrection.  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment