Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Change...fear...and faith

 
     Back in Raleigh...summer waning...frenzy of school beginning...children flying the nest...missing the mountains...saying a sad and reluctant farewell to summer's slower tempo...and time relentlessly marching on and on.
     Can you tell I really don't want this summer to end?  Boy, transitions are so hard, aren't they?  Even good transitions can prove challenging for many of us (at least for yours truly).  And that means we often resist and resent change--of any strip or color--because, well, change often hurts.  I've said it before, but I'm clearly a "status quo" kind of girl: let's keep life (and the people we love)  just the way it is.  Children not growing up and moving away.  Loved ones not getting sick and dying.  Jobs not being lost.  Steady as she goes, might be my motto.
     But you know what's just dawned on slow-learning me?  Behind my dislike of change and my desire to cling to the old and familiar is basically one thing: fear.  Plain old joy-robbing, peace-destroying, adventure-avoiding, and faith-denying fear.
     Fear of all the unknowns that lurk right around the corner.
     Fear of something harmful happening to our children when they're no longer within our eyeshot and control.
     Fear of losing my memory, my abilities, my usefulness (especially a fear for us stay-at-home moms as our children grow up).
     Fear of losing those we love.
     Oh fear wears so many terrible masks--
     Fear of not measuring up.  Fear of disappointing others.  Fear of failure...or even fear of success.  Fear of loss.  Fear of risk.  Fear of missed opportunities...and fear of taking those opportunities.
     Fear is a merciless thief and a relentless attacker.  Always on the lookout for that tiny opening, that smallest of vulnerabilities, and then moving in for the kill.
     And fear is from the pit of hell.  Smells like smoke.
     Fear really underlies my sorrow at letting go of the past and embracing the future.  Because here's the bottom line--either we trust that God's plans for our future and the future of those we love are ultimately good, pleasing and perfect...or we don't.
    We either trust in the ways and plans of the One who is both perfectly powerful and perfectly good...or we trust in our own cramped, myopic view of what we--fallen, selfish, sin-prone dust-people that we are--think will be best.
     It's either trust in the Great God Jehovah, Creator of the heavens and the earth...or trust in little, old me, myself, and I.
     One way leads to peace, joy, hope, and excitement over the future...the other to fretting, fussing, complaining, and fear, fear, fear over what's ahead.
     And we get to choose.  Every single day.  Every single one of us.  What will be it be?  Will we choose to live our lives constantly battling our resentment of change and our simmering fear of the future?  Or will we live our lives continually placing our trust in the One who holds us and the future in His nail-scarred, grace-filled, love-saturated hands?
     Just as with His ways and will, His hands are personal--knowing and loving each of us personally.  They are purposeful--planning and fulfilling in each of our lives that which is ultimately for our good and God's glory.  And they are oh so powerful.  Whatever is ahead, our God is able.  That's what His power means to us--He is able to forgive the worst sin.  Able to redeem the most hopeless situation.  Able to give peace in the most frightening of circumstances.  Able to resurrect the deadest of hopes.  Able to revive and restore the most embattled relationships.  
     He is able, able--able from the day we breathed our first breath on this earth...and able until the day He brings us home to heaven.  And if He is able, well then, we can relax and trust Him with whatever our future brings.
     "The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; You hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.  I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken." (Ps.16:5-8)
     Fear, take a hike.  You've been permanently removed from your position and replaced by the Lord who is "always before me, because He is at my right hand."
     For all He has given in my past and for my chosen portion in the present, I say "Thank You, Father!"  And for the future, I say, "Yes, Lord!"   In You I place my trust.
     Anybody else out there need reminding today?   We might need to remind that thief fear a thousand times of day to get lost!...and to preach to ourselves a thousand times a day the truth of the One who is really there and really in control.  That's okay.  Just keep teaching and reminding yourself of the truth.
     Stop rehearsing your fears. Start reciting your faith.  Your faith in the Almighty who is not just with you and for you, but is before you, behind you, beside you, and inside you.

  A new day is dawning.  Time to be grateful for the past...faithful in the present...and hopeful for the future.
     For our God is already there; He is Almighty; and He is always able.
     Thank You, Lord Jesus.
     To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment