Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Love lessons from Bingley

       Ever since he was a wee little fellow, Bingley has loved to snuggle...preferably in your lap--
And he's not partial to any particular lap.  If you're in his "family," he's in your lap--
If you're sitting on the sofa, Mr. B is certain to trot over and softly (but insistently and pathetically) cry.  I'm not kidding.  He's such a baby.  It's as if a little buzzer goes off in his head, and here's what he's thinking: "Time for some lovin'.  I need to be reminded how much you adore me."  
Sometimes, he'll give you no warning...he'll simply walk up to the sofa or chair, and with a soulful expression, suddenly leap into your arms.   You can almost read his mind: "You look as if you need a bit of time and affection, so I'm your guy...uhh, dog." (Though we're not at all sure Bingley realizes he's a dog...not that we spoil him or anything. Ahem.)  
"I think my daddy needs some love"--
"Time for Matt to get some encouragement"--
"Mary Norris' turn (she's in her PJ's--which means it's morning...which means she's tired...which means she really needs my time and attention)"--
"Oh, my boy Peter is practicing his trombone.  I know he could use my help and encouragement"--
"Janie's back from college. I've missed her...and I know she's really missed me, so I better reassure her with a little love"--
Yep, Mr. Bingley has his own special ways of receiving and giving love. He may not be able to say it in words...or with a surprise gift...or even with an act of service...but he does it in the only way he knows how: snuggling.  In fact, we'd say he's olympic calibre in the snuggling department. 
So it got me to thinking: how quickly and consistently do I seek to love and encourage those around me?  Seriously, am I going to let a canine outdo me when it comes to the number one job God assigned to me when He placed me on this planet: to love?  To love my Savior, first and foremost, of course, but then to love those He's sovereignly and graciously placed in my life.  Jesus tells us repeatedly that we are to love one another.  "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:34-35) 
Wow, think of that: we're to love as Christ loved us.  That's some kind of standard...and it leaves no room for petty jealousy, ingratitude, resentment, or an unforgiving spirit.  
Nope, if Jesus could forgive me of my enormous, humongous, gigantic load of selfishness, pride, envy and all the rest of my ugly sin and then on top of all that, love me, well then, how dare I do any less?  
If the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe could wash filthy feet, then what act of service for others could possibly be beneath me?  
If the Redeemer could love me at my worst and desire to have a relationship with me even when I'm indifferent or preoccupied (Oh Lord Jesus, forgive me!), then surely I need to willingly pursue and persist in loving those in my life who don't always reciprocate or respond.  
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." (I Pet.4:8)  Amen!
"And now these three remain, faith, hope, and love.  But the greatest of these is love." (I Cor.13:13)
"Do everything in love." (I Cor. 16:14)  Yep, that about covers it!  
And by the way, love means action.  We can't just think it or feel it--we've got to show it.  With our words and with our deeds.  
Bingley, thanks for reminding me why I'm here.  Father, help us--by the power of Your Spirit that lives within us--to love.  
To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment