Saturday, August 16, 2014

Old age, selfies, empty nests…and JOY!

      "Peter, I'm almost 25.  That is so old."  (Just overheard Mary Norris saying this…which officially makes her mama older than dirt.  Ancient, actually.)
      "Mom, I'm moving next week to Charlotte!" (Said in an excited tone of voice by our second oldest child.  Lord I have a question--can we rethink this kids-growing-up-and-moving-away thing?)
      "Senior year in High School--I can't wait to go to college next year."  (From Preyer--our next to last child still at home.  This empty nest plan is a terrible idea, if you ask me.)
      "Honey, you do not look like that picture.  That's just a bad picture." (My sweet, but lying, husband.  I've heard this any number of times the past few years.  My stock response: "That is a photograph of me!  Of course, that's, unfortunately, what I look like!"  Sigh.  Reality can be tough.)
      I think it's time for a little revival, don't you think?--and I'm not talking about a facelift (though judging from my pictures--that mysteriously "don't look like me"--I could certainly use one).  Nope, we all need the supernatural revival that comes only from our resurrected Lord.  And guess what--His revival doesn't depend upon youth, good looks, or a happy home full of children.
      "Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in You?  Show us your unfailing love, Lord, and grant us your salvation." (Ps.85:6-7)
      Our Lord is the source of all joy, for in Him is fullness of joy.  Our joy is not in ideal circumstances or ideal families or ideal appearances or ideal health.  No, our joy is in and through Him.  "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Ps.16:11)
      "…the joy of the Lord is your strength." (Neh.8:10)
      I loved this prayer from Scotty Smith: "Since your joy is my strength, Father, cause my heart muscle to beat afresh with your joy, the joy that fills the courts of heaven.  Holy Spirit, since joy is one of the fruits You grow in the lives of the children of God, please weed, prune, and fertilize my heart for a fresh crop.
      Jesus, since you are praying for the fullness of your joy to be in us (John 17:13), I will live with anticipation and hope, for your prayers never fail.  Though I've never seen you, I do love you, and I love you because you first loved me and gave yourself for me on the cross.  Fill me afresh with the inexpressible and glorious joy of the salvation you have won for us (I Pet.1:8-9)."
      Oh boy, aren't you thankful your joy doesn't depend upon the ever-vascillating, never-reliable circumstances of life?  No way!  Our joy grows out of the rock-solid, always trustworthy, and never, ever failing power, grace, love, promises, character, and cross of our Lord.
      So despite encroaching old age, unfortunate photographs, and relentlessly growing-up-and-leaving-home children, in our God is fullness and richness of JOY!  And "He who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think" (Eph.3:20) is also able to fill us with His overflowing joy.  Time to proclaim it!
     And speaking of less than flattering photos, even young folks and cute puppy dogs can fall victim.  These were selfies Peter took on the drive up to the mountains as Bingley sprawled out in his lap.

       Gotta love that nose.
       Note to (old age) self: do not take any selfies…ever…under any circumstances.
      Thanks for reviving me again, Lord…and for making me smile.
       To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment