Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February--grumbling to gratitude

       Okay, I'm trying to maintain a good attitude about snow, cold, sleet, and winter...but the old thankfulness and happy mindset is starting to wear a wee bit thin.  On the positive side, Mr. Bingley and I got to head down to the greenway for the first time since Monday.  I've hardly set foot outside since it's like a sheet of glass outside our house.  Bingley looks confused--he's clearly wondering what the deal is.
       But for one brief, shining half an hour, all was right with the world as Mr. B carried stick after stick along the greenway.  Ah, life's simple joys.

       Then there was Wonder Dog's magnificent leaping to catch snowballs Peter threw up in the air--

       And I have to admit, the snow--which just began falling again--is mighty peaceful and beautiful-
(admittedly, it's difficult to see in my amateur photography, but trust me, it's coming down...sigh.)
       So, to be perfectly honest, I'm pretty much over winter, even with it's hot chocolate, graceful snowflakes, rosy cold cheeks, and invigorating temperatures (I really had to search for a way to put that in a positive light).  Can I just say, February is one challenging month.
       Now, to be fair, I do think February is saddled with one huge, nearly insurmountable obstacle that causes it to be nearly everyone's least favorite month--namely, it's position.  It's tough being at the tail end of winter when most of us are sick and tired of being cold.
       But--and this is a huge but--my youngest child pointed out to me the two fabulous things about February that totally redeem the whole situation.  One--Valentine's Day (he's a big Valentine's Day guy, don't ask me why.  I think it has something to do with the chocolate. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.).  And two--"Mom, February is my birthday month so it's the very best month!"  I totally stand corrected.
       Isn't it amazing how quickly we can morph into complaining and ingratitude?  We (translation "I") get so focused on what we're missing, or what we lack that we think we need, or what we have that we don't want, that we fail to see all that we possess.  The blessing upon blessing that God has showerd upon us.
       Thank You, Father, for the change of seasons.  Though winter gets mighty old right about now, I'm still so thankful for the bracing cold, the beauty of winter skies, and the gracefulness of pure white snowflakes floating to the ground.  I'm thankful for power (as in electricity)...for heat,  hot water, warm food, and hot tea.  I'm thankful for the presence of people I love around me.  I'm thankful for computers and cell phones and all the technology that I can barely operate, but that keeps me connected to those I love in far flung places.  I'm thankful for laughter...and no homework...and smores...and sleeping a bit later...and our dog (who seems to especially relish frigid weather).  And I'm incredibly thankful for the gift of all our children and for youngest son and his birthday--so this is a terrific month!
       Just in case you needed a little attitude adjustment, hope these reminders of a few of February's blessings helped a bit.  Maybe it's time to make your own list.
       But there's one more--and it's the most important of all: God's Word that never ever fails.  "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks." (I Thess.5:16-18)
       Always, without ceasing, in everything.  That pretty much covers it, doesn't it?  Including February...and cold...and sleet...and snow.  So thank You, Father.  In You, we always, always, always have infinite grounds for rejoicing and myriad reasons for thanking.
       To God be the glory.
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment