Saturday, February 7, 2015

Weekend work

                                            A little food for weekend thought--

       Whew, what a week it has been...hence the absence of any blogs.  Not a bad week, just a mighty busy one.  It's left me a bit--uh, actually make that "a lot"--frustrated that there never seem to be enough hours in the day--time with God and His Word, time with my husband, time with children and family, time with friends, time writing and working on lectures, time for chores and more chores and more chores, time for exercise, time for walking Mr. Bingley, time to read, time for chocolate (duh) and on and on.  Right about now, I'm feeling overwhelmed that my unlimited-things-to-do seem to vastly outnumber my limited-hours-in-the-day.  Sigh.
       But I read these words by one of my favorite writers, Robert Morgan, from his terrific new book, Mastering Life Before it's too Late:  "When we're about our Father's business, we're to number our days, for life is swift; we're to redeem the time for the days are evil. But in God's perfectly designed plan, there is always enough work for the days He has given us, and exactly enough days for the work He has assigned.  The old couplet (attributed to C.T. Studd) rings ever true:
          This one life will soon be past;
          Only what's done for Christ will last."
      Yep, here's how God's Word puts it: "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil." (Eph.5:15-16)   And one of my favorite verses: "So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." (Ps.90:12)
      The Lord knows the number of hairs on our heads, the number of days allotted to our lives, and the number of tasks assigned to each of us individually.  Since He has given us the sometimes laborious, sometimes joyous, "work" of our lives--whether loving our families and friends, volunteering at our child's school, cleaning the house and folding laundry, or heading to the office for a overflowing day--He will also provide whatever we need to complete it...by His grace and for His glory.
        Sometimes we just have to take Elizabeth Elliott's famous advice, and when we just don't feel like it, or wonder what to do, or question whether we will ever get it all done--we simply "Do the next thing."  One day at a time.  One hour at a time.  One minute at a time.  All the while asking the Father for His enabling power, His ennobling purpose, and His invigorating love.
       So, I've still got an awful lot to do, but I'm trusting that my Heavenly Father will "lift [my] drooping hands and strengthen [my] weak knees and make straight paths for [my] feet" (Heb.12:12-13) so that all He's called me to do this day--just this day--will be done to His glory.  And then tomorrow, well, He's already there, and He's got it completely, fully covered too.  My Abba's got it, and He's got me...and you, too.  
       To God be the glory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment