Thursday, February 26, 2015

Praise God for power!

       Power is a beautiful thing...as in, electrical power.
       I remember all last week being so thankful that though we were trapped inside with all the ice and though Preyer was in a boot and on crutches, we still had power. And it was fabulous...only I don't think I fully appreciated how incredibly fabulous it truly was.  No matter what went on outside, we remained inside, warm, dry, well-fed, able to see and be entertained by all the usual electricity charged devices (from mobile phones to TV's).
       And we figured, "Hey, we weathered the storm.  February's nearly over.  Spring's surely coming.  We are on our way, baby!"
       Until we heard the latest forecast for last night.  And the relatively big one hit.  Which was still okay (maybe not great, but okay)...until 3:45 this morning when the power went out.  Sigh.
       The house got progressively colder and colder (duh), and my early morning time with the Lord was a bit truncated--to say the least--due to cold, darkness, and inability to find a working flashlight.
       But while everyone else slept I danced a little happy dance when I realized our gas fireplace still worked even without power!  Yay!  I located a flashlight with actual batteries in it that actually worked. Chalk that one up to the minor miracle category.  Then, happily, my computer still had a bit of power, so I could work on my Bible study lecture for a bit.  Not to mention we still had working plumbing--now that was some good news right there, with three guys in the house.  (I won't elaborate.)  But best of all--glory--our gas stovetop could heat water for HOT TEA and HOT CHOCOLATE!  Life was beyond good, and I was praising God!
       Now, there was still the little matter of a cold house, cold shower (forget it--I'lll just stay dirty), and a dog who was ready to go outside for his morning constitutional.  Still, all in all, plenty for which to be grateful.
       When Bingley's whining just got to be too much, I bundled up and headed outside with umbrella and ski gloves (always a great combination)...but praise God again--the rain had stopped.  We hiked down to the greenway, and let me just tell you, it was stick nirvana.  Limbs had fallen everywhere (hence the lack of power), and Bingley had his pick.  This one held particular appeal for the better part of 30 minutes--
          He also really, really loved this one and hauled it for quite a while, though he had to stop every now and then to catch his breath.
       Though I'm no longer a fan of snow, cold, ice or anything whatsoever having to do with winter, I have to admit the woods truly were beautiful and peaceful.  Loved this glimpse down the creek--
       Back at the old ranch, the best thing about losing electricity was watching the boys drag out the board games.  A number of killer games of chess, but I think our injured boy won those all (which is nice--I think he needed a bit of cheering up and nothing like beating your brother to do that).
       So, in case you're still reading, here's the really great news--after over 10 hours, the POWER CAME BACK ON!!  We were all sitting and laughing in the den (having no power truly does promote great family togetherness), when I walked in the kitchen and suddenly noticed--a light was ON!
       I screamed!  No joke.  In fact, the guys came running and then got mad at me.  Preyer said he assumed there was someone on the porch with a knife in his hand.  Clearly I need a few girls around here.  I mean seriously, how can you not scream when you'd been contemplating frigid, numb feet in bed that night, peanut butter sandwiches for dinner, and fighting for the one working flashlight so you could read when it got dark in a few hours?
       And then, oh my stars, and then in the twinkling of an eye, everything changes.  You suddenly realize you're going to get a hot bath, eat a hot meal, read in bed with warm feet (praise God!), listen to WRAL tell you how bad the weather conditions are (who cares--we have POWER!), and maybe even watch a movie with your family that evening. Not to mention, I'll now be able to make Peter's birthday cake for tomorrow.  All that, my friends, is as good as it gets.
       Funny, isn't it?  I possessed every one of those things yesterday...and the day before that...and the day before that.  But I just didn't comprehend how truly valuable and wonderful they were.  Nope, we had to lose them for a day to come to the recognition of how remarkably blessed we really were.  Find yourself deprived of a few basic necessities like heat and light, however, and you figure it out mighty quickly.
       I know, I know, I sound like a broken record when it comes to seeking to exchange pouting for praising, complaining for thanking, and fretting for trusting...but don't we lose sight far too easily of all we possess and of all the myriad ways God has blessed us?  I know I do.
       So once again, thank You, Father, for our lives and for those we love.  For our basic necessities and for our bonus enjoyments.  And thank You for the ways You teach and shape us through the difficulties in life--those little roadblocks that You use to remind us who's in charge and how You're using all, all, all things in our lives for our greater good and Your greater glory.  Romans 8:28 all the way!
       Sure hope you've got power and warmth and light in your house right now...but most of all, I pray You have the Source of all power and the Giver of salvation in your life and in your heart...because if you have the Lord Jesus, you have absolutely everything.  Now that's the real Power!  And with Jesus, you'll never, ever, ever lose your power!   
       To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment