Monday, June 8, 2015

Graduation...and God's faithfulness

        Broughton graduation day.  A beautiful sun-splashed day to celebrate 443 students graduating from high school.  Thank You, Lord, for Your faithfulness.  Faithfulness in giving our son, Preyer, to our family.  Faithfulness in allowing him to attend a wonderful school with remarkable and dedicated teachers and staff.  Faithfulness in giving him the gift of amazing friendships.  Faithfulness most of all for allowing him to know and love You as His Lord and Savior.
     

         It's been a fun, but emotional day.  Overwhelming joy and gratitude.  But also twinges of bittersweet sorrow.  So hard to let go and to watch the closing of one chapter of your life.  Another child moving out into the big world.  The house growing ever quieter.  We're down now to just one child left at home, and I must say, silence does not feel all that golden to me.  I love the noise, chaos, drama, and excitement of lots of children, lots of their friends, lots of activities.
        Yeah, yeah, I well remember how I would sometimes complain about the craziness...but oh, what a sweet and special time.  What a gift all those raucous, exhausting, wondrous years.
        So once again, I'm back to the wisdom of good old Dr. Seuss and one of my favorite quotes of all time--"Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened."
       Boy am I smiling.  Thank You, thank You, thank You, Lord.

       Thank You for Young Life...for Queen of Hearts...for late night, last minute study sessions...for runs to Cook Out, Krispy Kreme and Armadillo Grill (we're all about nutrition)...for spring break...for my favorite sounds of singing with Campaigners Bible study in the basement, laughter amongst friends, and yelling from competitive ping pong or Madden games...for loads of laundry...for Broughton golf shirts...for texts, often during school (not entirely sure how that worked)...for working in the Guidance office with wonderful Dale and Jennifer...for Kip Dell parking lot (praise God for a parking spot!)...for sports banquets...for packing lunches...for last minute signing of interims...for dear, amazing friends who have shared this journey with us for so many of our children and so many years and their youngest child graduated today--like the Manns, McMillans, Roberts, Allens, Mintons, Millsaps, McCains, Creeches, and a host of others I can't think of right now because my heart's too full and my brain too fuzzy!
       I've always loved Ps.71--well, I've especially loved it as I've grown older: "O God, from my youth You have taught me, and I still proclaim Your wondrous deeds.  So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim Your might to another generation, Your power to all those to come." (Ps.71:17-18)
         What a reminder--God is not through with any of us yet.  Yes, our children may be growing up or grown.  Yes, we may have added a few more gray hairs or a few more pounds.  Yes, our memories and our gait may be a bit slower...but if we are still here, God is not finished with us yet!  If we are still breathing, He has work for us to do.  Joy for us to experience.  Love for us to share.  Kindness for us to show.  And glory for us to reveal.
         He has been with us this far...He will not a abandon us now.  Great, great, great is His faithfulness.  "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.  'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him." (Lam.3:22-24)
        When one door closes in life, Lord, help us to look to You in faith and to place our hope not in our circumstances but in You.  You are our hope.  You are our unchangeable Rock.  And no matter what changes life may bring, You are forever faithful and Your mercies are, indeed, new every morning...and every year...and every decade...even to empty nests, gray hair, and beyond.
        So thank You, Father.  Thank You.  Thank You for all You've given us, all You've done, and all You are continuing to do.  Use us for Your glory.  Might we continue to proclaim Your greatness and goodness to another generation until the very moment You take us home to glory.  Don't let us rust out, Lord, but keep us aflame for You all the way to the finish line.
        To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment