Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thankful for dogs

       Mr. Bingley and Georgia, our neighbor's new puppy (at the time, about 8 weeks) after ripping and running around the yard--
        Whew.  I had forgotten that May (and the beginning of June) is spring's answer to December--crazy busy, especially when you have a senior preparing to graduate from high school. Consequently, I'm behind in every possible area of my life...well, except for keeping up with eating plenty of chocolate.  No matter what's going on, I somehow or other always manage to maintain a habit of consistent consumption of chocolate in all it's varied and wondrous forms.
        Okay, so other than chocolate, I'm struggling to get back in a normal routine for things like this blog, laundry, cooking (a home-cooked meal--does take out pizza qualify if you put it on china plates?), and simply some time alone to read the Word, pray, and think.
       This rush, rush, rush from one activity to the next is truly the pits.  There's nothing like the gift of a few minutes of unhurried time spent contemplating the character of God and reflecting on His goodness...and then writing it down so you don't forget it by the next day...or the next hour.
       And therein lies my problem: my feeble brain has processed a number of thoughts over the past few weeks, but I've had no time to write them down...and thus, they're gone forever.  That may be no great loss to the world (to put it mildly), but I do hate missing or forgetting things that God's teaching me.  But if I can't remember, how on earth am I going to learn and grow and change?
       Therein lies one of my two points today: first, when God puts His finger on something--whether it's a Bible verse, a friend who's struggling, or a gift in your life for which to be thankful--we need to pause long enough to write it down so we can remember and reflect upon it.  Don't just assume you'll recall whatever it is.  Maybe you have a better memory than me--in fact, I feel quite certain everybody reading this has a better memory than me--but why risk missing anything God has for you?  Jot it down so you can think about it, pray about it, or thank God for it.
       My second point: thankfulness for one of God's great gifts--dogs.  We have two dear friends who have recently lost their wonderful dogs, and oh my, how I know what a deep loss that is.  Losing Moses two years ago just about killed us but also made us profoundly grateful for what an extraordinary blessing these dogs are in our lives.  They bring so much love, so much laughter, so much sweet companionship, and yes, sometimes so much mess and aggravation.
       Right now I'm looking at a plant in our living room that for some reason Bingley has decided needs to be stripped of it's leaves.  The last few mornings, I've come into the living room to discover a new little pile of leaves on the floor.  This is clearly not beneficial to the plant nor is it encouraging to my already woefully inadequate gardening skills.  The song "Another One Bites the Dust" keeps running through my head.  Sigh.
       But despite the messes, the aggravation, and the exorbitant vet bills, there's nothing like a dog.            Don't get me wrong--I like cats too (although I'm guessing they will not be in heaven)--but it's a rare cat who will run to the door to enthusiastically greet you.  Or joyfully walk with you anytime and anywhere.  Or look at you with adoring eyes even after you've accidentally stepped on their paw.  Or exhibit great happiness and contentment just by being in your presence and sitting at your feet (or in Bingley's case, your lap).
       So today, Lord, thank You for dogs.  Thank You for the way You created them with their soft fur, sweet gentle eyes, and wet noses.  Thank You for the way they love to run and jump and catch and fetch.  Thank You for their enthusiasm and love.  Thank You for they way they become such a treasured member of our families.
       And finally, thank You--and this is a painful thank You--that when they die we grieve so deeply...for that grief is a reflection of the incalculable richness and joy they've added to our lives.  This side of heaven we can't have one without the other--the joy and the sadness.  The depth of our sorrow in their loss is also a measure of the greatness of our love and happiness in enjoying them for however long we had them.
       Just makes me thankful all over again for our Lord Jesus who conquered sin and death.   Our sin brought death and decay to all of God's magnificent creation--not just to humans, but also to dogs and deer, birds and bees, fish and foxes.
       Death hurts.  Oh my how it hurts...but "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?  The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin, is the law, but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (Rom.15:55-57)
       Thank You, Father, for dogs and for every single one of Your good gifts in our lives.  But most of all, thank You for Jesus and for the certain hope that because He defeated sin and death, we will live forever in a perfect and glorious heaven...where they will be no more losses, no tears, no sorrow, no separation, and no death.  Ever.
        And maybe, just maybe, plenty of wagging tails and gentle brown eyes.  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment