Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Alleluia from head to foot!

        "The Christian should be an alleluia from head to foot!"  Augustine of Hippo
        Whew.  I needed that reminder.
        Too much rushing, shopping, wrapping, mailing, cleaning, delivering...and desperately trying to get it all done before the big day.  It's December 23rd, and for the first time in days, I'm sitting down quietly in front of the Christmas tree to pause, to reflect, and to praise.
       Don't get me wrong--I love the hustle and bustle of Christmas.  I love the joy of busily preparing for our children to come home.  I love cooking some of old favorite foods.  I love running errands with Christmas carols blasting in my car.  I love running in and out of stores brightly decorated with glowing red and green lights in celebration of the Savior (even if the store doesn't understand or acknowledge it).  I love the continual remembrance of Jesus' birth that's like a delicious fragrance bringing joy and wonder in it's wake.  I love Advent--rejoicing that Jesus came and remembering that He's coming again.
       But, oh my goodness, all too often those happy preparations can begin to consume us, can't they?  One moment we're humming a Christmas carol...and the next we're hammering our horn at the slow car in front of us.  Lord Jesus, forgive me for working so hard to celebrate Your birthday that I fail to celebrate You.  For putting so much effort in demonstrating my love for my family and friends that I miss the joy of simply savoring and loving them right now in the present moment.
       Yes, there's much to do...but there's so much more to delight in.  Yes, we all have much to accomplish...but how much more important to shout alleluia!  Immanuel is with us and for us.  Almighty God has come and moved into our neighborhood.  He loves us with an infinite, incomprehensible love that will never weaken or waiver.  A love so great that He came in order to go to the cross.  As Paul David Tripp puts it: "Look into the manger and see the One who came to die.  Hear the angels' song and remember that death would be the only way that peace would be given. Look at your tree and remember another tree--one not decorated with shining ornaments, but stained with the blood of the Son of God.  As you celebrate, remember that the pathway to your celebration was the death of the One you celebrate, and be thankful."
        Thank You, thank You, thank You, Lord Jesus.  Thank You for coming.  Thank You for going to the cross.  Thank You for coming down to our earthly home so that one glorious day we could go up to Your heavenly home.  As we prepare to celebrate Your birthday and begin a new year, might our lives be one giant alleluia for who You are and what You've done!  Alleluia, Lord, from head to foot!
        To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment