Wednesday, December 30, 2015

What's your treasure?

        "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Lk 12:34)
        "And going into the house they saw the child with Mary His mother, and they fell down and worshipped Him.  Then, opening their treasures, they offered Him gifts, gold, frankincense and myrrh." (Mt.2:11)
        What's your treasure?
        The wise men brought their treasures of gold, frankincense, and myrrh to the baby King of Kings.  Gold--the most valuable and beautiful of materials was destined for royalty...fit for a King.  Frankincense--the most costly of all oils which was derived from dried sap was used as incense for worshipping Almighty God...fit for the Lord.  Myrrh--the spice employed in embalming dead bodies...fit for a man.
       Gold for Christ the King.  Frankincense for the Lord.   Myrrh for Jesus, the Man.  What beautiful and perfect gifts for the Lord Jesus Christ--King, God, Man.
       But here's the thing I keep coming back to--these wise men brought their most valuable treasures, yet they were coming to the ultimate Treasure.  They bestowed treasures to The Treasure.
       And I'm wondering, what's my treasure?  What's your treasure?  What's that ultimate thing without which our life would lose it's spark of joy?  Because whatever you or I see as our treasure, well, that's where our hearts will inevitably follow.  And any and every treasure other than the Lord Jesus Christ will ultimately, inevitably, and always disappoint.
       Only in Christ will we find our heart's true treasure, lasting satisfaction, indefatigable joy, and continual feast.  Not in material possessions.  Not in accolades.  Not in accomplishments.  Not in pleasures.  Not even in the glorious gifts of family and friends.  Only in Jesus.
       When we seek Him as our Treasure, all this world's smaller treasures take on their proper significance...and yet, remarkably, we discover those treasures then bring us greater enjoyment.  Suddenly that stunning sunset...or delicious meal...or precious child...or magnificent music are enhanced, savored, and appreciated to an even greater degree when we see each and every one of those littler treasures as wondrous gifts from the hand of The most extravagantly glorious Gift and Treasure.
        I don't know about you, but I sadly need constant reminding of this.  Yes, I completely understand this to be true, but all too often, I live as if those minor league treasures are what will really bring me contentment and joy.  Oh Lord, I believe...help Thou my  unbelief!  Remind me, help me to treasure You, Lord Jesus, as my greatest of all Treasures.
        So "treasure" is my word for this year.  Worshipping and treasuring Jesus as my ultimate and most glorious Treasure.  Thanking Him for, and savoring, all the smaller treasures He's so graciously and generously placed in my life--most of all, family and friends.  And daily choosing to treasure that which is important and eternal--Jesus, His Word, and the people He's given me.
        To God--our greatest Treasure and our generous Giver of treasures--be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment