Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Keep us singing

         Early morning.  Dark and still outside.  Oh how I love this time of day!  And here's what I'm thinking about: Lord, what is my song of praise to You this day?
          I read these words just now from our next passage for Bible study in the book of Nehemiah--      "And at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem, they sought the Levites in all their places, to bring them to Jerusalem to celebrate the dedication with gladness, with thanksgiving and with singing, with cymbals, harps, and lyres." (Neh.12:27)
        And then in the Daily Light for this morning: "I will trust and not be afraid; for YAH, the Lord, is my strength and my song; He also has become my salvation." (Isa.12:2)
        News flash--fish oil, kale, and green tea are not our strength.  Weight training, power walking, and exercising with good buddies are not our strength.  Plenty of sleep, fresh air, and sunshine are not our strength.  Our sweet dogs, happy homes, and shared laughter are not our strength.  Dare I say it?--Maria's chocolate cake, hot baths, and reading by a warm fire are not our strength.  Even those dearest to us, our family and friends, are not our strength.
       They are all gifts, wondrous gifts many of them, to be sure.  Oh how overwhelmingly thankful I am for such treasures in my life!  Thank You, Father, for such treasures of priceless family and friends, for home, for Your creation, for good food and fellowship, for the joy of laughter and love and life.  What incredible joy they bring to my life--and it's all grace, grace, grace!
       But above them all, You Lord, You are our strength and You are our song.  And because You are our song, we will always have reason to rejoice and a song in our soul to sing.
       Thank You for giving us such gloriously wonderful earthly treasures in our family and friends.  Thank You for the dear gifts of dogs and home and laughter and books and homemade chocolate cake and walking in the fresh air...and on and on.  What gifts from the hand of the most generous of all Gift-Givers!  But thank You most of all for The Gift of gifts--the Lord Jesus.  "Thanks be to God for His indescribable Gift!" (2 Cor.9:15)
       And so, like the folks way back in Nehemiah's time as they prepared to dedicate and celebrate the rebuilding of Jerusalem's walls, and like the Psalmist, let's begin our day with a song of praise.
      Ask God to give you a song.  And remind yourself of it throughout the day.  Sing the chorus in the rush of the morning routine.  Sing it in your heart as you prepare to eat lunch.  Hum a few bars quietly to yourself late in the afternoon as your strength is flagging.  Just a little reminder of Who is with you and for you, right there, whatever you are doing--He's there.  And He is your song.  And therefore, you can rejoice, no matter what the day may bring.
       "Bless the Lord oh my soul, oh my soul. Worship His Holy name.  Sing like never before oh my soul. And worship His Holy name.  The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning.  It's time to sing Your song again. Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes..." (Matt Redmond, "10,000 Reasons")
       Father, keep us singing to You, our strength and our song.  To God be the glory.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment