Thursday, January 7, 2016

Strength Infusion

         Early this morning, Peter, Mr. Bingley, and I drove up to our son's favorite go-to spot for a fast breakfast--good old chick fil-a.  Yes, we're all about nutrition around here.  sigh.  But he'd convinced me that a bagel chicken sandwich was just what he needed to power through school today...and he's the baby of the family, so well, I indulged him.
         But here's the thing--I awoke this morning weary.  As in really bone-tired weary, and discouraged.  I know, I know, that's not supposed to happen at the joyous beginning of a new year with all it's new resolutions (which I rarely make) and new possibilities (although I'm kinda of status quo girl, as in, "Can we just agree that all our children won't grow up and leave us and we'll all stay at this age and not have to endure any more challenging changes?"  Somehow I did not get a vote on this.)                  
          Here's the point--I was feeling spent, overwhelmed, and generally "blah." I won't go into all the reasons, but weariness and down-heartedness were dogging my every step.
         As we rushed out the door, I grabbed a David Jeremiah devotional book and told Peter the price for going to chick fil-a was him reading us a devotion while I drove up there.  I wanted to get a bit of God's Word into him before he headed off to school...what I didn't realize was that God knew yours truly needed to hear it far more than our son.
         Let me cut to the chase--God used the words of man I've never met, read by my son, to speak Truth right into my heavy heart and weary body.  The devotion began with these words: "If you feel weary or weak, think of these Bible verses on the subject of strength. Choose one to commit to memory and ask God to use it to impart strength to your fainting heart."  Gee whiz.  As Peter read verse after verse, tears slid down my cheeks.  It was quite literally an instantaneous strength-and-hope infusion right there in the old suburban.
       Oh my, what a sovereign, loving Savior--to know just what His faltering child needed to hear, right when she desperately needed it.  What a caring, personal, wonderful Lord we serve!
        Maybe nobody else out there today is in need of a strength-by-the-Truth infusion like I was, but just in case you are, can I share some a few of God's life-giving, joy-producing, hope-filling verses--
        "Your sandals shall be iron and bronze; as your days, so shall your strength be." (Dt.33:25)  "Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His face evermore!" (I Chron.16:11)  "Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." (Neh.8:10--one of my very favorites as we've been studying the wonderful book of Nehemiah)  "My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Ps.73:26) "The Lord is the strength of my life...Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart." (Ps.27:1,14)  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil.4:13)
          What a relief!  It's not up to us to gin up some strength or simply try to push, push push harder.  Nope--it's God's joy that is our strength!  It's Christ who strengthens us and enables us to do whatever He's called us to do.  It's God who is our strength and portion forever.  Hallelujah!
         Be strengthened in the Truth of God and live in the supernatural power and indefatigable joy of His presence--He is the Living Word who is with you every moment of this day and everyday.
        "The joy of the Lord is your strength!"  And His strength will never, ever run low.  As David Jeremiah put it: "When our strength is exhausted, His is undiminished."  Yes!  Thank You Lord!
        To God be the glory.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment