Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Remembering

        Goodness gracious, this has been one of those days...as in, where are earth has this day gone?  I've been busy since the moment I got up this morning, but the day just seems to have slipped right through my fingers.  There's been a lot of "this and that and the other"--as in, organizing this, emailing that, preparing and cleaning and picking up and dropping off and responding and...who knows what else...all day long.
        The day is nearly finished, and what on earth have I got to show for it?  Just a lot of minutiae and busyness.  Yet in all that "sound and fury signifying nothing," I failed to stop and spend time with the Maker and Sustainer of the universe.  Geez...talk about misplaced priorities.  You'd think an old gal like yours truly would know how to put first things first and make sure the truly important gets accomplished before the seemingly urgent.   Forgive me, Lord.
        But here's the thing.  I can continue to berate myself and remain grumpy and frustrated...or I can simply start now.  I'm that little child crawling into her Daddy's lap, knowing He'll love me even when I've missed the mark.  I don't want to allow any more of this day to slip away without spending a few minutes with my Heavenly Daddy.
         I loved this prayer from Tim Keller: "Lord, so many of my problems stem from not remembering you.  I forget your wisdom and so I worry.  I forget your grace and so I get complacent.  I forget your mercy and so I get resentful of others.  Help me remember who you are every moment of the day. Amen."
        As the old hymn says, "Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it.  Prone to leave the God I love.  Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above."
      It's never too late to remember and repent and return home.
      Thanks for helping me remember, Lord...and please keep reminding me.  
      To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment