Sunday, May 1, 2016

Thankful for the Word!

                             A little food for weekend thought--
        "When I am afraid, I will trust in You.  In God, whose Word I praise--in God I trust and am not afraid.  What can mere mortals do to me?" (Ps.56:3-4)
        I love Tim Keller's thoughts on these verses: "Fearfulness and faith in God can coexist in us even as trust slowly wins out. Faith is not a vague sense that 'God will work it out.'  It comes from prayer immersion in the Scripture, the Word of God."
        Oh goodness, it seems the Lord's been teaching me this from every possible avenue--from church, to our church prayer group, to Bible study, even to the Beth Moore conference I just attended with a group of wonderful women from our church.  I guess the Lord realizes how stubborn (and forgetful!) I can be, so He continues to graciously remind me: it's all about His Word!  The gifts of a renewed perspective, a treasure trove of His promises, and an abundant supply of His power all come from His Word.
        If we want to know and love Jesus, then spend time in His Word.  If we want to grow in godliness and righteousness then savor His Word.  If we want to increasingly experience deep-seated contentment, satisfaction, and joy, go the well of His Word and drink deeply of the living water.
        If want wisdom, strength to go the distance, and hope--who doesn't want all that!--then dive into God's Word: "For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (Rom.15:4)  And if we want to see Jesus in all His beauty, goodness, and glory--and oh my how desperately we need to gaze and focus upon Jesus every single day!--well then, look to the written Word and behold the Living Word.  "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)
         Keller prays: "Lord, I need not merely read but praise your Word--to relish and rejoice in what it tells me about your glory and grace.  Help me calm and silence my fearful heart with the promises and claims of the Scripture.  Amen."
         Yes, Father, yes!  Might we daily, consistently, persistently, and joyfully read, relish, and rejoice in Your Word.  Thank You for sending us Jesus, the Living Word, and for giving us the Bible, Your written Word.  Speak to us afresh this day and everyday through Your living, active, perfect, powerful, and beautiful Word.
         To God be the glory.  
           
           

No comments:

Post a Comment