Thursday, May 19, 2016

Wilbur, slowing down, and gratitude

          What's in a car?  Well, plenty actually.
          I've had--let's just call it "the interesting experience"--of driving our son's beat-up old Ford Explorer the past two days.  We'll name it "Wilbur" for simplicity's sake.  Wilbur, as the old expression goes, "has been rode hard and hung up wet."  He's faithfully carried our four oldest children to Broughton High School, UNC-CH, Young Life Club and Campaigners,  mountains, beaches, Bojangles, golf courses, Cook Out, Target, and on and on and on.
          Wilbur's had a few mishaps along the way.  Banged and even smashed in the school parking lot by assorted other high school drivers.  He took a hard, direct hit late one afternoon in the parking lot of North Hills (with the culprit failing to leave his or her name).  Then there's the numerous times old Wilbur's horn would go off for no particular reason--and refused to stop.  This happened several times at the Broughton parking lot and always made for lively and ingenious solutions by fellow high schoolers trying to help out.
            Then there was the time Janie locked her keys in Wilbur at Cameron Village during their lunch break at school.  She, however, had to RUSH back to school with friends for a test and couldn't quite describe to me where the car was located.  I should note that we had long since lost the extra set of keys, so Mom had quite the adventure working that one out--including running and hollering after the tow truck, trying to get their attention.  "SIR, SIR!  HERE!  The car is right back here!!!!!" Yes, very dignified.
          Oh, and how about when Preyer called us one morning to report: "Well, I got to school, but the engine of my car is smoking...a lot.  But I'm sure it will be fine."  Well, naturally.  I've noticed these problems always just magically go away all by themselves.  Yeah.
          Then there were the visors...which somehow or other were pulled so hard that they both dangled down in front of driver and passenger, completely blocking the view...which is a problem.  Our children never mentioned this, and we discovered it when I had to drive the car one day. For the record, it's nearly impossible to drive a car with one hand holding up a visor the whole time.  (We did have it fixed, by the way.  And it was not cheap.  Who knew a visor could cost so much?)  
           So Wilbur has seen him some living.  And I've gotten to drive the old boy the last few days and remember it all.  Two observations: one, only Wilbur could make my battered old Suburban with 175,000 miles on it seem like driving a Maserati...not that I've ever driven one.  Seriously, when you push Wilbur's gas pedal, it takes him about 15 seconds to respond.  I can practically hear the old guy wheezing, "Again?  I've got to give you more gas again.  Okay, give me a minute to get myself together.  Coming, coming...be patient."
           My car, on the other hand, may no longer have a working seat warmer (a source of great consternation since that is my very favorite feature on the car), but by golly, when you push the gas pedal, she goes!  So I've got a whole new love and appreciation for my old car that's covered with school stickers on the back.
          Observation number two: thankfulness.  Thankful for old Wilbur safely and faithfully getting our children here, there and yon.  Thankful for the gift of watching our children grow up, attend school, enjoy their friends, and simply live life with their overwhelmingly grateful and blessed parents.  Thankful for all the Young Life meetings, Chick fil a runs, golf practices, church services, movies, soccer games, broken bones (complete with crutches), and graduations...and Wilbur has seen us through them all.          
          It's all gone waaaay too quickly, and how desperately I want it to slow down.  I want to shout to my children: "Time out!  Stop!  Let's savor this moment...this day...this season.  Stop growing up for just a minute and hang out here with us.  It's so good to have you home."  Here's how one of my favorite songs by Nichole Nordeman puts it:
Slow down
Won’t you stay here a minute more
I know you want to walk through the door
But it’s all too fast
Let’s make it last a little while
I pointed to the sky and now you wanna fly
I am your biggest fan
I hope you know I am
But do you think you can somehow
Slow down
          Nope, not gonna happen.  No slowing down. No time outs.   Not even pauses...but plenty of love.  Grace.  Thankfulness.  Tears.  Laughter.  Joy.  And amazement at the priceless treasure of raising these five precious, eternal souls.  We've made plenty of mistakes--to put it mildly--but oh boy, we have cherished and adored every single challenging, wonderful, exhausting, crazy, difficult, glorious moment of it.  Thank You, Lord, thank You.  
           And thanks, Wilbur.  
           To God be the glory.   


         
     

1 comment: