Saturday, July 30, 2016

Psalm 23...and news too good to wait!

                        A little food for weekend thought on Psalm 23--

        "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me;  your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Ps.23
         As I shared yesterday, I'm working on memorizing a very, very familiar passage--and it's Psalm 23.  I figure I need all the help and positive reinforcement I can get when it comes to memorizing, so let's get going on a passage I've heard all my life.  Yet in repeating it out loud several times a day, it's remarkable how something so familiar gradually seems to open up in brand new ways.
          Suddenly I'm thinking, for instance, in the midst of a busy day, "Oh Lord, thank You that You make me lie down in Your green pastures.  Thank You that You purposefully lead me beside those still waters...because You know my tendency is to rush, rush, rush and do, do, do.  Thank You even when I'm forced to wait or to take a path I wouldn't have chosen.  You are in the waiting, in the stillness, in the valleys, and You are restoring my harried, distracted soul in the midst of it all."
         Or as I put conditioner on my hair in the shower, I'm thinking about how grateful I am that the Lord Jesus anoints my head with the oil of gladness, satisfaction, and joy.  He anoints with the oil of the empowering, enabling Holy Spirit.  With the oil of filling to overflow.  With the oil of purification and sanctification.
        Just two little examples of how, through the process of memorization, a passage begins seeping down into the crevices of your mind and heart throughout the day.  But I especially loved the words of John Piper related to the phrase in verse 6, "surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.  Here's what Piper wrote:
       "There is a kind of eagerness about the beneficence of God.  He does not wait for us to come to Him.  He seeks us out, because it is His good pleasure to do us good...God is not waiting for us, He is pursuing us.  That, in fact, is the literal translation of Ps.23:6, 'Surely goodness and mercy shall pursue me all the days of my life.'  I have never forgotten how a great teacher once explained it to me.  He said God is like a highway patrolman pursuing you down the interstate with lights flashing and siren blaring to get you to stop--not to give you a ticket, but to give you a message so good it couldn't wait until you get home."
          Yes!  Not to mention that sort of changes your perspective on those blue flashing lights flashing behind you on the highway, doesn't it?!
          Thank You, Father, for being our Good, Good Shepherd who loves us infinitely, cares for us magnificently, forgives us completely, empowers us totally, and leads us perfectly.  Thank You--in Your amazing grace--for not just calling us, but actually pursuing us with Your extravagant love.  Help us to share this astounding Good News with others--because this is wondrous news far too wonderful to wait.
          To God be the glory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment