Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Speaking Light

          Words.  So many words spoken...emailed...texted...tweeted...repeated.  
          And I'm just wondering: are my words bringing light to the darkness...or simply adding to the darkness, thus making it ever so much darker?  
         Are my words like the rising sun in the morning, brightening and eventually conquering the darkness of night?  Or are my words like a shooting star--giving but a momentary, fleeting stab of illumination but not altering the darkness one iota? 
        Oh Father, make us like the sun--like The Son--so that we bring the Light of Christ into every place, every relationship, every problem, every discussion.  There is so much darkness in the world.  The political discourse can quite literally make you sick with sadness, anger, and fear.  Are we really that divided?  Really that antagonistic?  Really that foolish and cruel to use words that wound and cut deeply and often permanently?  
        No, I can't change the world.  I can't change the culture.  I can't even change my little city or neighborhood.  But here's what I can change: myself.  Change my words.  Change my thoughts that lead to those words and my actions that often spring from those words.  And as I change, the darkness in the world around me slowly, but inevitably, begins to abate. 
        I can speak Life,  I can speak Love.  I can speak the Light of Christ into the darkness.  
       Jesus asks us, "Is a lamp brought in to be put under a basket, or under a bed, and not on a stand?" (Mk 4:21)  No!  We are His light.  As believers, we hold within us the Light of the World, and we can, we must, shine His light into the darkness.  
        "You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden," says The Light, the Lord Jesus. (Mt.5:14)  How dare we not do what we were made to do--shine, illuminate, glow, brighten, and eventually defeat the darkness with His light.  
        It can begin with our words.  Sharing His words.  Illuminating the darkness by speaking His Word.  Encouraging with words.  Strengthening with words.  Building up with words.  Speaking the Truth in love.  Yes, always the Truth...but always in love.  Unconquerable Light shining in the darkness.
        Here's how Mother Teresa put it: "Words which do not give the light of Christ, increase the darkness."  
        Funny, sometimes it's hardest to do with those you love the most.  We tend to get lazy or too comfortable and familiar, and before we know it, we're spreading darkness rather than light in our families or with our friends.  
       Oh Father, help us to speak light instead!  Help us to use words which "give the light of Christ" as Mother Teresa says.  I want to speak light to my husband and my children...rather than sarcasm ("the language of the weak," my mama used to always say).  Speak words of encouragement rather than of negativity and defeatism.  Speak Truth rather than "going with the flow" and simply acquiescing with the darkness.  
       And refuse some words: refuse to speak gossip...or complaining...or comparing...or cursing...or cutting remarks.  And always, always refuse words of despair.  
      Yeah sure, all too often we've felt or shared those dark words of discouragement and despair...but how dare we?  Christ died for our sins, rose from the dead, and reigns forever and ever.  His Light has defeated the darkness, and one glorious day we will see it not just by faith but by sight.  We have all our sins covered behind us, Christ now within us forever, and heaven's glories before us, so how can we despair?  
        This day, might we speak words of Christ's light and life into a dark world.  Help us Father to speak words of light with our families, our friends, our neighborhoods, our workplaces, our stores, our churches, our schools, our cities.  Might we begin beating back the darkness by bringing in Your Light.  Help us to live out Jesus words, "let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Mt.5:16)
        Light...one word at a time.  
        To God be the glory.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment