Sunday, December 18, 2011

The 5th DAY

"On the 5th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, 5 golden rings." O boy, we come to the one verse we can always seem to remember. How many times have I soldiered through this song, kind of mumbling the words to the 9th, 8th, and 7th days that I can never quite recall, and then blasting out "5 gooooolden rings!"
Other that being a nice, slower respite in the middle of the song, the 5 golden rings also carries the significance of being an extremely precious commodity. Gold was, and is, very expensive and valuable. The number 5 symbolizes the first 5 books of the Bible, which are valuable and dear like gold. Again, we are encouraged to see the precious treasure we have in God's Word--both the Old and the New Testaments. God's very words breathed onto the pages of our Bibles we may hold in our hands and take into our hearts. Thank You Jesus for being our Word and for giving us Your Word.
You know, it's funny, as I have contemplated these 12 days of Christmas, I heard on a Christian radio program the story of a young mother who was diagnosed with brain cancer and died just a few weeks later. She was in perfect health, with 3 young children, and after complaining of a severe headache, went to the emergency room and learned she had an aggressive form of cancer and had only a short time to live. She lived exactly 17 days. I couldn't help but think about the value of each day. The 12 days of Christmas. The 17 days of a young mother's life.
We all have only a set, predetermined number of days to live on this earth. The question is not the number, but how will we live them? Will we live them to the glory of God so that each day becomes an eternal treasure? Or will we waste this day, frittering it away in anger or indifference or irritation or in some selfish pursuit of acquiring more "stuff" or gaining some short term pleasure or even in being busy busy busy but not fruitful. I am so prone to being a Martha and trying to get it all done (and then growing exasperated and discouraged because I never can) rather than being a Mary and resting in His love. If I would just daily choose to be a Mary first and rest in Him and His love then He would enable me to be a Martha and accomplish all that He has called me to do--and do it with joy and peace rather than frenzy and frustration.
Our days are infinitely more precious than gold. Each day is a gift from our Heavenly Father, and we don't have any idea how many He will give us. If you knew you had only 12 more or 17 more, what would you do differently? How would your attitude change? How would you enjoy and savor Christmas differently? Something tells me I would not be stressing out over whether I had remembered all the teacher's presents or worrying about what I am going to cook for all the many meals coming up next week or wasting time and energy on all the dumb stuff that can drain away my peace and joy.
I would be making much of my Savior... not making much of my to do list. I would be glorifying the One who came down so I could go up... not glorying in my accomplishments or my busyness. I would be savoring each moment with my loved ones... not surfing the web for one more present. I would be rejoicing in the birth of my Lord and worshipping my King... not working feverishly and worrying and wasting.
So right now, I could be getting those gifts ready to be delivered, cleaning up my house, or folding laundry. But instead, I am sitting in our living room, listening to joyous Christmas music, contemplating the wonders of Christmas and gazing at our colorful Christmas tree. A tree alight not just with the glow of the lights but with all the homemade ornaments from the children, old ornaments from my dear parents and aunt Janie and grandparents, and from my husband's sweet parents and from his childhood. And as I sit, I simply thank the gracious, glorious Savior who came and who has given us so many Christmases to savor and remember and worship the Babe at Bethlehem. I thank Him for my loved ones who came before and have gone on home to be with Him and are truly "home for Christmas." And I thank Him that He has given me one more day to love Him and love those He has placed in my life.
The 5th day of Christmas. How will you use this day He has given you? Might we use each day to glorify Him with all that we are and all that we have and all that we do and say. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment