Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Two Turtledoves

"On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love sent to me... 2 turtle doves." I was tempted to make a wisecrack about what a sorry gift giver this guy was, but actually, these two turtledoves symbolized the Old and New Testaments. God's gift to mankind was the Word--both the Word of the Lord Jesus but also His written Word, the Bible. And the more I have studied His Word, the more I have been struck that every verse whispers His name, from Genesis to Revelation. How thankful I am for His Word. We literally have God's words written down for us, and we can study them any time, day or night. How often we take this completely for granted. We can know the heart of the Lord of the universe. He is not some mysterious being that we can never comprehend. He is revealed in His Word, and He wants us to know Him and love Him in His Word.
I know it's a terribly busy time of the year (in fact, I'm writing this late at night because it has just been one of those days), but we need to take time to thank God for the gift of His Word. And the fact that at Christmas, we rejoice in the Word coming down and moving into our neighborhood. Happy Birthday, Lord Jesus. Thank You for coming... and for staying to live in our lives and in our hearts. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment