Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lost again... and found!

     Can I just say one thing?  Okay, well maybe a little bit more than one thing.  I have absolutely no sense of direction. My friends and family all laugh at my complete absence of any kind of internal GPS system.  In fact, no matter where I'm going--whether out of town to some distant locale or somewhere in my hometown of Raleigh or even just in a hotel hallway--I will always, and I mean always, choose the wrong direction.  Seriously, if the hotel elevator is to the left, I somehow will always assume it's to the right.  If going east on some highway means going one direction, I'll choose the other direction.  (By the way, I HATE that--when people give you directions and just tell you, "O, it's easy.  Just go west on Highway whatever and then go south on such and such a street.  Forget that!!  Never never never tell me east or west or north or south.  I need CLEAR directions with street names, landmarks, and right or left turns... and preferably a back-up plan if you miss the turn.  What is the deal with this "east" or "north" business?  That is for people who have a sense of direction.  Geez.  Sorry, I need a moment to calm down.)
     Where was I?  O yeah, I have NO sense of direction and can get lost anywhere.  I know this is partly due to some serious defect in my genetic makeup.  I can only hope and pray that this terribly defective gene did not get passed on to any of my children... though I'm fairly certain one of our children, who shall remain nameless, has this same fatal flaw.  Said child got lost going to the Costco for gas after recently acquiring said child's license.  Child returned home nearly an hour later having driven all over the place trying to find the Costco--which is a 3 minute drive from our home, involves  making only ONE turn, and is  a place we visit ALL the time.  Sigh.
     Anyway, as our youngest child and I were driving up to the mountains the other day, we got off on an exit for a quick stop.  Only one turn involved.  No problem.  After our 5 minute pit stop, we promptly made a right turn back onto the highway and resumed our happy way.  Until it suddenly dawned on me: had I turned the wrong way?  Was I going back the way we came instead of continuing to the mountains?
      A person of normal intelligence would have immediately ascertained that, in fact, going south on Highway 421 could not possibly end up in the mountains which are located west and north of Raleigh.  But we are not dealing, apparently, with a person of average intelligence.  I had to call my husband to confirm that, yes, we needed to be going north and not south and, therefore, must turn around pronto.  Truly pathetic.  But I'm just trusting that God has given me other gifts that don't involve directional ability or an average IQ.   Let's hope so anyway.
     But here's the thing--we're not in this crazy world on our own, thank the Lord.  I may not know north from south, but my Lord has sent me a Helper who will always always always be with me. I just read these words: "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." (John 14:26)
     How great is that?!  Jesus didn't leave us here hanging.   To every man, woman, and child who ask Him to be their Lord, He sends the Holy Spirit who will "teach you all things." And even better, our Helper will "bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."  Hallelujah!  For those of us who have the memory of a gnat, the Holy Spirit will bring to our hearts and minds the very words of Jesus.  He will help us remember!  Mercy, I really need help in that department.  Sure, fish oil and blueberries and everything else that is supposed to help with memory are great--trying them all, believe me.  But infinitely better and greater is the Holy Spirit with us and dwelling within us to teach us and remind us and help us remember our Savior and His Words.
     So, I may not be able to find my way out of a paper bag.  I may not remember my children's cell phone numbers or my best friend's name.  But dwelling within this sin-prone, temporary, and weak-willed body, is the Holy Spirit of Almighty, omniscient, omnipotent, eternal God.   Unbelievable!  And HE will teach us.  And HE will help us to remember who He is and what He has said and how much He loves His child.
     What could be better?  Certainly not a sense of direction!  Thank You, thank You, thank You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit!  Thank You for never ever leaving us or forsaking us.  Thank You for living within us to teach us and encourage us and strengthen us and guide us and help us to remember.   And so to God--and to our Helper, our Encourager, our Teacher, our ever-present eternal Friend--be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment