Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Stone

     Yesterday afternoon, my dear brother held out his hand in Janie's hospital room and without saying a word, opened his fist to reveal two beautiful black and white rocks.  He didn't need to say a word.  We both knew and tears spilled down for both of us.  They were rocks from Cane River--our last family vacation just two weeks ago with all of my brothers and sisters and children.  A place in the mountains of North Carolina at the base of Mt. Mitchell where we all go once a year and stay in a big old log cabin and fish for trout and hike and sit around a battered huge table and eat huge dinners and laugh and talk.  For our family, there's just something about this place of God's unspoiled, wild beauty that binds our hearts together.  We all love it.
     And Janie loved it.  The last pictures she posted on facebook before her accident were from Cane River.  Thank You Lord for these joyful memories of fishing and hiking through those cold, clear streams filled with huge boulders and rocks and more rocks.  Every year, we all seem to bring home some rocks from Cane River--just a way to remind us of this place we share and love.
     At 3:30 this morning, as I lay in the room with Janie,  tears slide down my cheeks as I prayed for her healing and restoration.  In the darkness, God suddenly reminded me of my brother's rocks--we put them on a little ledge right in front of Janie's bed.  I pick one up and pray by her bedside and feel God speaking of stones being rolled away from tombs.  "Father," I whisper, "please roll away the stone for Janie.  Please free her from this grave that binds her and free her to glorify You."
     I sit down with the Word to read of stones and resurrection.  The stone rolled away from the tomb of our Savior.  But God leads me to an earlier resurrection--Lazarus in John 11.  Jesus' beloved friend is ill, and Lazarus' sisters send for Jesus, telling Him, "Lord, he whom you love is ill."  I continue to read the words I have read so many times but that are now crackling, electric to me: "But when Jesus heard it He said, 'This illness does not lead to death.  It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it." (John 11:4)
     That is what we have prayed all through our children's lives--that they would glorify Him, that we would bring Him glory.  Every single morning for as long as they've lived, we shout out as they leave the house, "Salt and light!  Make a difference!"  Is this how, Lord?  I know that after Janie returned from a mission trip to Africa this summer, she had shared with close friends that she wanted to truly make a difference for Christ this year.  O Lord, I know You are using her in so many lives right now for Your glory, and even in this hard, dark place, I praise You and thank You that her suffering, that our suffering is making an eternal difference.
     I read on. "Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.  So when He heard that Lazarus was ill, He stayed two days longer in the place where He was." (John 11:5-6)  He loved them and so He stayed and allowed Lazarus to die before finally going to him--pain and suffering as evidence not of His disinterest but of His love because something greater and better was coming.
     He tells His disciples it is time to go to see Lazarus.  "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him."  And so they travel to Bethany where Lazarus has now been dead in the tomb four days.  As I sit in this hospital room, I am also standing at the stone-covered tomb of Lazarus with His weeping and bewildered family and friends.  They are asking why Jesus would allow His friend to suffer and die.  They are wondering why He would delay and wait to come until it is too late.
     But they do not know the end of the story.  They do not know how the Lord Jesus uses delays and waiting and the stone-covered tombs of despair and failure and doubt in our lives and He redeems and transforms... and resurrects. His delays are not denials.  I read the words and the hospital walls disappear.  All I see is the tomb and the huge rock and the Savior speaking firmly to the weeping sister: "I am the resurrection and the life.  Whoever believes in Me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in Me, shall never die.  Do you believe this?" (John 11:25)
     Yes, Lord, I whisper through tears, I believe.  And I clutch Janie's Cane River rock and I pray for resurrection and for faith and for God's glory.
     And now we walk, the sisters, the mourners, the Lord Jesus, and I, we walk to the tomb. "It was a cave, and a stone lay against it.  Jesus said, 'Take away the stone.'"  And I pray for Janie--Father, take away the stone, in Your time, by Your grace, take it away and free her.
     The sisters protest, for Lazarus has been dead four days and there will be an odor. But "Jesus said to her, 'Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?"  Yes, Lord, we believe.  Lord, help our unbelief.
     Jesus prayed to His heavenly Father and "When He had said these things, He cried out with a loud voice, 'Lazarus, come out!'"  And a dead man, a man dead for four long days, walks out of his own abandoned tomb.  His hands and feet still bound with cloths, his face still wrapped with cloth, but Jesus commands them "Unbind him, and let him go." (v.44)
     We stare, those mourners and I, at resurrection, at freedom, at the glory of God revealed at a stone-covered tomb.  We worship a Lord who saves and loves and redeems... and a Savior who ultimately would willingly, lovingly go to His own stone-covered tomb to save us, to unbind us from the sin that enslaves us, to free us from those things that grip us like fear and pride and despair, and ultimately to resurrect us.
     How can we not worship such a Savior?
     Holding the stone, I praise and I pray in this hospital room turned sanctuary.  I pray for Janie--that in His perfect time, God would speak her name and command her "Janie, come out!" and free her to glorify Him to a watching world.  And I pray for a world Jesus died to save--that others would hear His voice and heed His call to come and believe and be saved... and be resurrected to abundant, eternal life.
     Thank You for the stone, Lord, and for removing those stones in our lives and giving us resurrection life with You forever.  Help us to be salt and light and to make a difference... to Your glory, Lord, to Your glory.
     To the Savior who removes stones, who restores, who resurrects, be all the glory.
   

6 comments:

  1. Emily, this is such hard time to trust in our Lord's perfect plan but trusting you are! The light is shining from you and your family and I have no doubt that it is for the glory of God Almighty. Our prayers continue, even as I wake in the middle of the night, knowing that you are probably awake too. Take care of yourself so that you will be strong when Janie's rock is removed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Em, "Yes Lord, we believe. Lord, help our unbelief" is one of my very favorite verses and I say it so often. Prayed for Janie all through the night and this day. Praying that she wakes and comes forth very soon. Hugs to you my sister and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily: You do not know me, but Mary Norris was an intern for my husband, Rick Rountree, at Rountree Communications a year or so ago. We both have been so concerned since we heard the news. Please know that Janie and your entire family are in our prayers often as the days pass. Your writing is beautiful and does much, I'm sure, to help you as you pass these hours in wait. God be with you all.
    Susan Rountree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    Because of the strong faith and spirit you and Richard are exhibiting in this time of trial, I have never been more proud to be your friend and brother in Christ. God has been preparing each of you for this journey for a long time. I remember a morning more than 25 years ago when Richard walked in my office and said that someone had set him up on a blind date and asked me if knew Emily Preyer. I responded that whoever had done that was a genius because you would be perfect for each other. I now know that person was not a genius but an instrument for God. Your writings are magnificent and a powerful testimony of the hope that is in you (1 Peter 3:15). "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." James 1:12. Please know that the two of you and Janie are in my prayers minute by minute.

    In His love,

    Steve Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily: Many times I have reached out to God to take my hand and walk with me through difficult times. He has never let me walk alone. Although His plan can, at times, be very perplexing –it is only so until... through our faith and trust in His Grace, its clarity shines through...it comes most often when we least expect it and yet, through His infinite love and wisdom at the very moment He knows that we need it the most.

    May God's clarity and everlasting light SHINE THROUGH to all of you and most especially to Janie to lead her back through the haze of her journey home and into your loving arms again. Shirley Martin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Richard and Emily:

    I do not know you but feel as if I do after reading your blog and your wonderful words of Christ's goodness and faithfulness that you continue to share. My son Simon is a Broughton student and immediately after hearing of the accident I began to pray for those involved but I have been specifically burdened to pray for your dear daughter Jane. I have personally been through some very hard places in my life and I know that there is only one way through these places and that is by staying fully centered in the love of Christ and you are a wonderful example to all of us.

    Please know that there are many brothers and sisters in the body of Christ that are holding you and your family up in their prayers and asking Jesus for complete healing and restoration and we will continue to do so. All our hope is in Christ and He is faithful!!

    Cal Mason

    ReplyDelete