Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Little thank you notes

     Cause for thanksgiving: Tessa and Janie on a shopping trip to Target's to pick up a few items for their Halloween costumes (apparently "The Real Housewives of Raleigh"--hmm).  Who knew a trip to Target could bring so much joy?  But it did--to all concerned, especially yours truly. And we ran into a dearly loved friend, Debbie, while we were there--another little present from the Father!  
     Everyday, regular old occurrences--now infused with gratitude.  If we could name our moments, this one might be called, "Treasuring Target."  O yeah, and there's the Starbucks right behind the girls.  That steaming hot chai tea latte is calling my name.  Life is so good.
     Life's simplest gifts, when truly seen and savored, become it's choicest treasures.
     And when we see--slow down enough to really see--we discover our lives overflowing with such ordinary yet extraordinary moments.  How many do we allow to slide right past us in our haste and rush and harried lives?  How often have I missed the opportunity to say "Thank You!" to my husband or my child or my friend or my Lord, simply because I was too busy or preoccupied to slow down, see, and savor?
     So today, let's choose to be thankful for the simple, everyday gifts in our lives.  For me, it's been a sweet text from our daughter, Mary Norris, in Charlotte--thank You Lord for the irreplaceable gift of our children.  She is named for one of my sisters--thank You for the joy of siblings.  An empty box of Trix on the counter--evidence of our middle son's passion for cereal. Thank You for cereal, Lord.  Thank You for growing boys.  Bowl and spoon beside it on the counter--perish the thought he would put them in the dishwasher!  I can't help but smile.  And this makes me think of my daily trek upstairs to view the trail of clothes in and out of the bedrooms and bathroom.  Yep, dropped the towel right here, all nice and wet and wadded up.  Here's where he took off his shorts.  And I guess that's where he pulled off his shirt.
     I used to get irritated, but now, bad, irresponsible mother that I am, I just smile and thank Jesus for the gift of life and perspective and showers and clothes and people who bring messes--and so so much love--in our lives.
     In our youngest son's room, he has actually laid out his clothes for tomorrow.  A small miracle!  Only this time, it's because the clothes he's so carefully smoothed and placed with shirt right on top of the shorts are his Halloween costume.  Carolina basketball player... again.  What can I say?  It makes me smile and then weep for the privilege God has given us--loaning these five precious eternal souls for a few short years to love and guide and encourage and enjoy.
     An early morning text from a dear friend.  Thank You for dear friends.  Moses snoring under the table.  Thank You for dogs.  Seeing sweet Karen at the dentist yesterday--what a gift she has been to us all these years.  She so throughly cleaned my tea/blueberry stained teeth, ooh, I just want to go out and smile at the world to show off these pearly whites... well, at least for a few days till I ruin all her hard work.  O, and thank You for hot tea, Lord, and blueberries and chocolate (sorry Karen).
      I dare you, try going through this day and pause to see, truly see, all the ordinary/everyday/routine gifts in your life--the people, the things, the habits, the places.  And when you see them, will you turn each item back into a prayer of praise for the Giver of all good gifts?   When we do, He infuses the everyday with holiness and transforms the ordinary into extraordinary.
     "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (I Thess. 5:18)  "Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name." (Ps.100:4)
     "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever." (I Chron.16:34)
      And He is... and it does.
      So give Him praise this day for the ordinary/extraordinary.  May our day be filled with little silent thank you notes of thanksgiving to our gracious Giver and Provider.  To God be all the glory.
   

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for my friend Emily. Thank you for the reminder of all the little things in life that are such blessings. Help me to be mindful, slow down and enjoy the moments. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete