Friday, October 26, 2012

The gift of true seeing

     Just had to put this in, because it's so funny.  Sorry, I know I have a slightly warped sense of humor, but you just gotta love the girls--Tessa and Janie--staring at the back wall of the elevator at school while they surely enjoyed a lovely ride upstairs to class.  This is from Tessa's instagram--which I do not understand at all, but apparently my 11 year old does.  Sigh.  I am a Neanderthal.
     On an only tangentially related subject (ADD here I come), I would like to say what an enjoyable ride I have had today in my battered old suburban.  Or maybe I should say, "rides"--since I have driven back and forth, back and forth all morning long.  Take Janie to school, pick her up after her first class; take Janie to and from physical therapy; hurriedly pick up some lunch for her (since we forgot); take Janie back to school; rush home to take Peter gym clothes (since we forgot)... okay, this is getting boring, isn't it?  Just imagine more rides and more forgotten items, and you'll pretty much have the picture.
     My point: it has been that kind of day.  Ever feel that way?  Getting nothing accomplished and knowing you're doing nothing but spinning your wheels--your disorganized wheels--and never crossing off one item on your desperately long to do list. Frazzled and frustrated; hurried and harried.
     That was how my morning was going until I ran into my son's school with his gym clothes (and I mean ran since he had to have them in less than 5 minutes).  A sweet friend asked me about Janie.  Another sweet friend shouted out encouragement from her car.  I got into my car, and my forgiving Father stopped me cold.  Exactly what, He gently asked me--exactly what was I complaining and frustrated about?
     God immediately brought to my mind that image of me all those weeks ago, standing by the window in the ICU at the Greenville hospital and watching all the cars zipping past, all the people walking about, all the doctors and nurses rushing in and out.  Just people busy in their lives--I'm sure many of them stressed out and complaining about all they "had" to do.  And how I had so fervently wished I could be out there"having" to go to the grocery store, "having" to take my son some forgotten item, "having" to deal with interruptions in a crazy day.   Because I saw so clearly then how blessed I truly was.  And now, somehow, in the light, I had completely forgotten the lessons the Lord had taught us in the darkness.
     The lesson of gratitude and thanksgiving in each moment--each irreplaceable, never-to-be-repeated moment. The lesson of the joy in being busy in blessing the people you love--even if it just means blessing them by taking a forgotten lunch or gym clothes.  The lesson of the power of praise in any every situation, because God promises to be bring good out of ALL things for those who love Him.  The  lesson that praise is the bridge that takes us from simply enduring the circumstance to enjoying the Savior.  And the lesson that He fills our days with so many daily blessings that we miss in our fussing and frenzy--so we need to slow down to see and savor His goodness and His grace.
     Like the stunning beauty of the orange and red and chocolate colored leaves on the trees that lined my way on all those rides to and fro.  Like the joy of hearing a song I love on the radio and singing it out loud at the top of my lungs, on all those rides to and fro. Like the privilege of driving my daughter, to and fro, to a wonderful school filled with terrific teachers and staff and friends.  Like the gift of a car that works and eyes that can see the road and hands that can hold the steering wheel on all those rides to and fro. Like the gifts of friends to greet and dogs to quickly pat and hot tea to sip on all those rides to and fro. Like the blessing of busily driving to and fro on a cool fall day rather than standing beside an unconscious daughter in the ICU.
     Ann Voscamp writes: "Joy, it's always a function of gratitude--and gratitude is always a function of perspective.  If we are going to change our lives, what we are going to have to change is the way we see."
     That's what God gave me this morning: the gift of true seeing.  The lens of perspective that enabled me to see through the busyness and into the spacious place of God's extravagant grace in my life... and in all our lives.  To see the goodness of the Lord surrounding me at every turn.
   Forgive Your forgetful child, Father.  Thank you for blessing upon blessing on this busy day--a day where "accomplishment" means rejoicing in You and Your goodness and grace as well as loving and encouraging my family and friends... not  crossing off ultimately unimportant items on my to do list.
      Thanks for reminding me, Lord, that You are source of all that is good in our lives.  Thank You for enabling me to see and be grateful.  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment