Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A sprain... and slowing down

     "Pride goeth before the fall."
     After writing yesterday about inactivity and the importance of walking with Jesus--spiritually and physically--here I sit with my foot propped up and ice on my ankle.  Sigh.  All due to my rushing and hurrying and not paying attention as I stepped off a curb and turned the daylights out of my ankle.  Clearly I am not going to win any coordination awards, and I'm thinking my chances at a turn on "Dancing with the Stars" are fading fast.
     But this has been in some ways a needed reminder to sloooooow down.  I can be so impatient, so frustrated with the pace of getting things done on my endless to-do list that I fall into the trap of rushing and scurrying through--and past--life.  In our haste to "get it all done," we can completely miss the purpose and reason for all we have to do.
     Sometimes we need to stop doing and just focus on being
     Cease trying so hard and start treasuring a bit more.
     It's not all that we do that gives us worth.  It's what He has done that gives us infinite value and purpose.
      But if we don't slow down enough to glimpse Him in our day, well, then what's the point?  And if we can't quiet our minds and still our frazzled schedules long enough to truly see and enjoy and love the people in our lives, well then, we're just missing it.  Missing Him.  Missing life.  Missing joy.  We might be efficient... but not contented.  Productive... but not peaceful.  Ever striving... but never quite satisfied.  Boy, guilty as charged... until a little ankle sprain reminds me of Who's really in charge and what's really important.
    So for the first time in several days, old Moses and I have sat down together (well, actually he's doing the usual--laying down... he's got the slow-down thing down pat!) and opened the Word and savored the Savior's manna and quieted down enough to listen for His voice.  And I can hear the whoops and hollers of our boys and their friends as they engage in a rousing game of golf frisbee outside.  It takes quiet and time to hear their joy--a day ago I would have missed it as I busily rushed about getting things done. How much do I miss, who do I miss, in my busyness and preoccupation?  Forgive me Lord.
     Tonight, the laundry may remain unfolded, the kitchen still messy, those notes left unwritten, but God has given me something infinitely greater than feeling I'm accomplished... and that's knowing I'm accepted by the Almighty One.  And His greatest command is to love.  Love Him and love others.  So tonight, if I love, truly love, those in this house that He has loaned me for a few short years, well, then that will be one job well done.  And He will be gloried... and I will be fully satisfied.  Thank You, Lord Jesus!
     To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment