Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The calling of Hope

     Baby steps.  Baby steps.
     Yesterday afternoon, Peter and I found the long-lost iPod.  My husband and I had completely forgotten where we hid it a weeks back--so frustrating, these crummy memories!  That iPod seemed doomed to oblivion, perhaps to be found years from now by one of our yet to be born grandchildren.  And then, glory, as Peter searched and opened drawers, it suddenly dawned upon me!  A flash of recognition with the memory of hiding it in the dining room sideboard!  O thank You, Jesus, that I still have a few, a very few, remaining brain cells.
     So, one item crossed off the list.  Hmm, that still leaves the clutter, the church location, the messed up computer... and on and on.  But for now, let's rejoice in those baby steps!  I remembering way back in September--we are "prisoners of hope!"
      Like I said yesterday, sometimes we forget. It's good to remember... and rejoice.
     And so God gives us His Word to remind us, to guide us, to strengthen us in the rock-solid, bank-your-life-upon-it Truth.  Just this morning, I read in Romans 15 "For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."
     And "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."
     Don't we all need that?  Hope.  God's hope.  True hope, because it is hope based not on"hope so" but on "know so."  Hope embedded deep in His unshakeable Truth, in His infinite power, in His unending love, and in His glorious grace.
     I talked last night with a very dear and wonderful mama who is aching for her son's illness.  I got off the phone and wept for the struggle and hardness and sorrow of it all.  But overarching the pain, they are a family filled with God's hope.  Because this son, this fine, godly man who will be speaking to our high schoolers in a few days, wants to glorify God through it all.  To shine forth a God who uses disease and distress and weakness and somehow, someway produces glory, and ultimate good.
     And, yes, hope.  Hope, even in the midst of the hardest of places.  O Jesus, give them more hope.  Open our eyes to see Your unshakable hope and to share it with others.
     I read this prayer the other day by Scotty Smith--it's all about gospel hope.  Real hope.  For we are prisoners of hope--even in ICU's or cancer wards or lonely, quiet homes or prison cells.
     "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you." (Eph.1:18)  O help us to know that hope, Father, and to share it and shine it.
     For You have not suggested that we hope.  You have called us to hope.  Your hope.
     Here is Scotty Smith's prayer based on this verse:
     "Merciful Father, if a sheriff knocked at my door this morning with a subpoena, I'd be a bit unnerved.  But today, like every day, the gospel is knocking at my door to subpoena me to hope.  Nothing more settling and centering.  Thanks for making hope a calling.  You haven't extended a general notification or given me a polite invitation. I am called to hope in Jesus, just as surely as you called me to a saving knowledge of His grace and will call me to an eternal celebration of Your presence one day. I wouldn't think of ignoring a summons from the sheriff; I'd be crazy to ignore a summons from You... Free me from fixing my gaze on circumstances and people.  I tend to give them way too much power over my heart.  Paul wrote these words of encouragement from a Roman prison, not from a Mediterranean condo.  What do I have to complain about?  I have real needs, but You give an ever brighter hope.  Bring enlightenment where there's been dullness and myopia of late.  Throw the curtains all the way open; lift all the clouds; do more laser surgery on the eyes of my heart, if need be.  Just show me more of Jesus--that's all I really need.  I pray in His tender and triumphant name.  Amen."
     Might we heed Your call to hope in You this day. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment