Monday, May 13, 2013

One question to ask daily

      Just listened to a thought-provoking sermon by J.D. Greer on relationships.   And it reminded me afresh that often the main problem we have in life is our selfishness.  Selfishness stunts our souls and decays our relationships.  Let's face it--we're all pretty selfish creatures who deep down want what we want, when we want it, and just how we want it.
      A woman today nearly ran us down in the car as she flew down the street... and then had the audacity to honk at us!  I guess she was irritated that our presence had somehow slowed her down...and her obviously very important agenda.
     But my momentary aggravation quickly gave way to conviction: Can't this so often reflect my attitude?  Wrapped in my pride and my selfish to-do list, distractions and interruptions can become a source of great irritation.  Before you know it, in my hurry and haste to get things done for the people I love, I have jettisoned that very love!  Even in our work for the Lord, we can suddenly find ourselves adrift in resentment and bitterness if we forget Who we are serving, why we are serving, and how we should be serving.
     We serve others out of reverence for Christ.  We're not serving them... we're serving Him.  And He is worthy.
      He who created the heavens and earth washed filthy feet.  What job could possibly be beneath us?  The One who sustains the universe by the power of His name, willingly submitted to the beatings and butchery of His crucifiers.  The Bread of Life and the Living Water served bread and fish to the hungry rabble.  If He served--and served with joy--how can we do any less?  Not just serve, but serve with a willing, joyful attitude.
     "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward.  You are serving the Lord Christ." (Col.3:23-24)
     Whether we are changing diapers, studying for an exam, cooking a meal, running errands, filing papers, cleaning out clutter, or handling irate customers--we are doing it for Jesus.  Might we see His face superimposed on the faces of those we serve and love.  He sees every nameless, thankless task we do each day... and He is pleased when we do it with excellence and to His glory and with His love.
     So here's the question J.D. Greer challenged his listeners to ask each day in their significant relationships.  "What can I do to serve you today?"  Yes, so counter-intuitive in our meet-my-needs-now world.  But it's the way of grace, the way of Jesus.  Not how much can you do for me or how can you meet my needs or here's all the ways you have failed me... but what can I do to serve you today?
     "The gospel secret," Greer explained, is what Jesus did on the cross: "to absorb sin and give grace... We change others not by paying them back or getting even...Instead, the gospel secret is that grace is the most powerful change agent in the world."
     God changed us not by threatening and berating us but by pouring out His totally unmerited grace upon us at the cross.  "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom.5:8)  When I consider what Christ did, His infinite love, His amazing grace--while I was yet a selfish sinner--how can I not serve willingly and love joyfully those He has placed in my path?  What amount of our love and service could be too much for Him who served and loved and gave so infinitely, so perfectly for us?
      If the Gospel of grace changes us, then it is the Gospel of Christ's grace in our homes, in our marriages, in our schools, and in our workplaces that will regenerate and rejuvenate and restore that which is lost or damaged or broken.   Grace that says daily to my husband, "What can I do to serve you today?"  And to my children.  And to my extended family.  And to my friends.  And to my Savior.
     So this week, by the grace of God, I'm going to make a start by asking the people in my home at least once daily: "What can I do to serve you?"  And then listen and respond.... and try, by His grace, not to do it through gritted teeth!  Or with a scorecard in hand.  But just as one available to serve as my Savior served and love as my Savior Lord.  For it's all by His grace, and all for His glory.
     To God--the Almighty Lord who came to serve and love--be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment