Monday, September 22, 2014

A fall...forgiveness...and our glorious Savior

      We were nearing the end of our walk on a spectacular beginning-to-feel-like-fall day.
      And it'd been a good walk.  We're been working hard on Mr. Bingley staying calm when other dogs approach.  Let me just say, our efforts have been meeting with mixed success....okay, with very, very fair to middling success.  You see, the boy just loves, loves, loves other dogs, though you'd never guess it.  He tends to bark and jump around like he wants to kill the other canine--but it's just his way of enthusiastically welcoming him/her.  This tends not be all that well received, however, by the other dog owners.  sigh.
      But like I said, we have been making moderate strides in this area, and on this day, Bingley had  done particularly well.  "Now this is what I'm talking about!" I was thinking. "Good boy, Bingley!"  
      "Pride goeth before a fall," the Bible cautions us.  Let me second that.  
      Because no sooner had I begun relaxing and considering the many strengths possessed by our remarkable dog, another little four legged creature approached with his owner.  A cute little fellow and certainly not menacing.  
     As I smiled and said hello, Bingley went into freak-out mode, jumping and dancing so suddenly that he swept me off my feet.  Literally.  I tumbled over in the dirt, hitting hard.  Bingley looked stunned and stricken.  Ears down,  eyes looking sad, but that didn't matter to me much at the time--the damage had been done.  Mortified, I jumped back up and chirped, "I'm fine.  I'm fine!  So sorry!" and continued on home.  
      But here's what I was thinking--"Oh my stars, how embarrassing.  This is the pits--we'll never get him to stop doing this.  I'm so tired of this--in fact, I'm never walking this dog again.  Ever.  He can stand at the kitchen and whine and cry all day long for all I care...."  You get the drift: I was, shall we say, very irritated.  Well, that, and discouraged too.  (I might add, I had already been feeling tired and overwhelmed at the time anyway, so this was just the proverbial straw breaking the camel's back.)
      I'm grumpily shuffled into the kitchen, feeling beat up and worn down. 
      Eventually, after showering, I got to work on Bible study.  And here, immediately, came Bingley...sort of slowly slinking into the hall to sit and stare at me with very sad eyes as I worked--me still with my bad attitude.  I glared back at him...but he remain undeterred.  Just sat there and watched my every move.  I finally sighed and snapped his picture--
       And the frustration, disappointment and irritation dissipated.  Because here's what I had just read for Bible study: "Therefore He had to be made like His brothers in every respect, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.  For because He Himself has suffered when tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted." (Heb.2:17-18)  
      Translation for me right at that moment?  Jesus left the infinite wonders of heaven and became a man, subject to every irritation, difficulty, and struggle all of us humans will ever face, all so that He could become our Savior who died for our sins and our High Priest who would constantly pray for us.  And because He endured more suffering than we'll ever suffer and withstood more temptation that we'll ever confront, He can totally, truly, completely understand what we're going through....and He can and will help us endure it and withstand it as well.  
      When I thought of all that Jesus has done--and is doing--for me, I felt both deep sorrow for my stinking, selfish sinful irritation and ingratitude and profound, deep, overwhelming joy and thankfulness for such a Savior.  
      A Savior who fully understands...and freely forgives.  
      A Savior who knows our weaknesses...and gives us His strength.
      A Savior who picks us up when we fall...and says, "Forgiven. Forgotten.  Forever.  Now go back out there covered by My grace and filled with My love and try again."
     A Savior who simply never quits on us.  Ever.  
     What can  you say to such a Redeemer, but thank You, thank You, thank You, Lord Jesus.  Oh Father, might all who read this today be reminded of Your infinite love, Your beautiful forgiveness, and Your amazing grace...and might it encourage us to quickly confess our sin, freely forgive others, and live this day overflowing with gratitude and love for You and those You put in our paths.  
      Alleluia, what a Savior.  
      To God be the glory.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment